Jersey Giants

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Willie Pauline, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Willie Pauline

Willie Pauline New Egg

Nov 3, 2016
    I bought 10 Giants a year ago and blended them with 15 other hens. The Giants have never started laying eggs... Any suggestions?

2. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    [​IMG] The fact that they have never laid anything seems strange. Do you know how old they are? Perhaps whoever had them got rid of them when they figured they were all laid out, but still, I would think in a year you would have gotten at least a few eggs. Also, even if they were in a molt or molted within a year they should have come out of it. Are they free range? Any chances they could be laying outside or somewhere you can't find the eggs?
    Are you sure they are hens, but again, if they were all roosters you should have a lot of crowing.
    Another thought just crossed my mind. What are you feeding them? What breed are your other hens and they are laying?

1 person likes this.
  3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Oh that is very strange that they never have laid an egg. You have some good advice above and what I would ask also.

I'm very interested to hear your reply to the above questions. Hope you can get this figured out and enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

4. N F C

N F C phooey! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

dekel18042 has asked some good questions, maybe the answer is in there.

Thanks for joining us!

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Willie Pauline, and [​IMG]! Pleased to have you in our community! I agree - answers to the questions posed by dekel need to be answered in order for us to give you proper advice. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!! [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. You may want to post photos of some of your JG's at "what breed or gender is this." Just to be sure you were sold hens. Maybe they could also tell from photos if they seemed to be OLD birds. Have you contacted the seller and told him ?

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! I know that Jersey Giants can be slow to mature, but I certainly don't think they are that slow! You have been asked great questions and been given great advice, so I'll just say hi! :frow

9. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by