Jersey Giants

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CK Chickadilly, Dec 30, 2008.

1. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Do they make good layers? [​IMG]

2. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I'm sure the hatchery types do, but the show birds were NOT good layers for me.

Just know that when you select a larger breed, egg production goes down. Egg production and size are a negatively correlated.

3. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    My whites so far are horrible layers. They were hatched April 16, 2008, and we are lucky if we get one egg a week out of three hens. Their egg size so far is only as big as a silkie egg.

4. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    " Egg production and size are a negatively correlated."
    Which explains why Steven's little Charlotte shoots out eggs like a machine gun!

5. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    haha...i'm just imagining a chicken...shooting out eggs...like a machine gun.

"Patatataatataaaattt"

hahaha

6. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    My Jerseys don't produce as many as my Wyandottes, but I've never had a problem with them NOT producing well. I have 5 girls, 4 of which are still relatively young, and it's not unusual for me to get at least two dozen per week during peak season. They're supposed to be dual purpose, but they take too long to mature and aren't as meaty as I was lead to believe. I still like them, though. I love the mammoth eggs.

7. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I have BLK JG's and WHT JG's with a huge young BLK roo, they lay eggs everywhere! [​IMG]

8. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:Where did you get your JG's?

Even if they didn't lay eggs are they really nice birds? Do they eat a ton?

9. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    My giants are 2 years old. In the photo below the ultra jumbo light brown eggs are from them.

[​IMG]

My cockerel is almost 6 months old. He looks like he is going to be a nice bird but it will take him a long time to fill out yet.

10. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    My JG's have done well. They're not as good a layer as a Leghorn, but respectable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by