Jersey Giants

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by LolaTroy, Jul 3, 2011.

1. LolaTroy

LolaTroy Out Of The Brooder

Does anyone happen to know the personalities of Jersey Giant hens?
    Are they generally friendly and docile or more hyper or aggressive?

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    My pullets are easy to get along with. Of course I've had them since theywere two days old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  3. Eggcellent Adventure

Eggcellent Adventure Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    Ours aren't aggressive at all, but they are our most shy. That might be because we got them when they were 3 weeks old, compared to our others that we got day old or hatched. Our red stars are outgoing/friendly, our polish funny and sweet, our Easter Eggers totally flighty and crazy and our welsummers are easy going.

Our Jerseys are really pretty though! And easy going, just super shy (never warmed up to us) like the others.

4. teddiliza

teddiliza Chillin' With My Peeps

My hens were shy also. My rooster finally got used to me petting and hugging him though. My black hen also finally got used to me picking her up and petting her. (They live with Kathyinmo now) I had to sell them, will definitely get some more some day when I have land and they can have their own coop with a low roost,.

5. CAjerseychick

CAjerseychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    Northern California!
    These are my first chickens so I dont know what the range is-- the 3 week old chicks are skittish but will come running for treats when I call out their special treat song-- the big 6 week old chicks are unafraid of me and jump up into my lap when I am sitting outside but its more for looking to score treats than wanting to be petted-- the Rooster is not aggressive as far as I can tell-- he is mostly unafraid and is very forward in approaching me to shake me down for treats....

6. Tinworm

Tinworm New Egg

Nov 18, 2012
    My Jersey's are a little shy until it's time for bed. They could all get to their perch for the night but 4 out of 6 like to wait for me to put them there. I have a couple that jump on me when I come in the coop.They seem to like me all the time ,just more at perch time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by