Jet is stepping on her own feet

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tia, Oct 24, 2010.

1. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    Jet has always walked kind of funny and I thought she might have a problem. She walked like she was walking on a line. Since I put her in with the other ducks she is walking on her own feet. I took her to the vet to get her wings clipped, and she said she didn't think it was normal... now she is limping. I probably should have done something when she was a duckling... I suppose it is too late now. Does anyone have any ideas that would help her. I know she has been running around a lot because the other ducks run from her and she keeps trying to catch up with them.

2. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Im having a problem with my jumbo pekin trying to run and keep up with my runners. They are only 10 weeks old but she is bigger than my normal pekins. When they are run round acting crazy she tries to keep up but she has to work harder than the others, then once they stop its like shes limping, she really has a waddle from hell, maybe I need to put her on a diet so she doesnt have so much weight on her legs. Does anyone else have Jumbos with this problem

3. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    Those runners must be kind of cliquish. Mine are certainly not opening up to her.

4. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    my runners step on their own feet all the time. Vinny esp likes to put one foot on top of the other, and then try to step forward using the foot under... and he trips himself a lot... silly sucks. I always assumed it was normal for ducks... with the waddling and all

5. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Some ducks are more clumsy then others. Just make sure they have all the vitamins and minerals they need. Especially while they are growing. Also larger breeds are more prone to issues and it is best to restrict their food intake so they grow slowly. Rapid growth in large birds can cause long term problems.

6. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Jumbo pekins are notorious for leg problems. My first flock of ducks included two jumbo pekins, and I'd never recommend them for pets. Poor things--they were cumbersome and limped around half the time, never could keep up with the others. One died during her first year purely from leg issues. I think they were developed for meat, and it's a sorry thing when breeders develop an animal for their own purposes without a thought to the comfort and lifestyle of the animal they're developing. [​IMG]

As for the runners being cliquish, it's nearly always going to be the case that when you have an established group and add a new duck to it, they will shun the new duck. The best fix for that is going to be to confine all the ducks together for about a week, so they *can't* get away from her. Another option is to separate the existing group into two groupings, leaving one of them completely alone with the new duck. The old duck will bond with the new because she'll be lonely, and when you put them all back together again, they'll be so confused and glad to see each other they'll forget to be mean to the new duck.

As for the legs--yes, treating it in a young bird is always easier. However, you can still help her. Make sure she's getting a good, balanced diet (chicken layer pellets or grower ration--cut the protein a bit with oats if it's higher than 17%). Make sure the food is fresh--no older than a couple of months, TOPS. Nutrients degrade in food pretty quickly and if they're not there, your ducks will suffer. Also, mold and other things can grow UNSEEN in the food and cause serious problems--and usually they show up in the legs and feet.

Finally, confine her--and at least one of the other ducks--to a smaller area, where she won't be running about so much and can heal and get strong. Gradually start letting her get more exercise. Shaking things up so that the other ducks accept her will help a lot too--she won't be running after them all the time.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by