1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Jet - Still Hen or turning Roo?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by zumzumfoxy, Aug 19, 2011.

1. zumzumfoxy

zumzumfoxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Hello all!

So my mystery chick who I'm pretty sure is a Silkie x ??? , is going 'brawk-brawk-bra-brawwwkkkk' and is far more vocal than my other girls. Her vent looks like theirs so I'm thinking if she's a he, then he's growing really slowly (compared to Stormy, who had definitely male bits in his vent and was starting to hump the pullets and had grown male feathering). Jet has the biggest comb and wattle growth out of all the girls right now.

STILL A SHE, right?!?! //sweat

[​IMG]

2. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Age? Tough to tell by the pic... Do you have one that is showing her body?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  3. zumzumfoxy

Jun 29, 2011
    She's about 4.5 going on 5 months now. [​IMG]

Body shot from a mere last month- her comb and wattles and earlobes developed wicked fast!-
    [​IMG]

4. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    I think you have a girl there.

5. zumzumfoxy

Jun 29, 2011
    [​IMG] I think so too. I mean, the vents match, but she got so vocal and she developed faster. It was weird. As a chick, she matured a lot more slowly than the other breeds did, but now she's got faster facial development.

6. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Usually pullets will have very small combs and wattles until right before they start laying, then POOF they develop them really fast and they get big and pink quickly. This is a sign she should start laying soon. It is very had to tell from your pictures but I think you have a female about to start laying. [​IMG]

7. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    a hen !!!

8. zumzumfoxy

Jun 29, 2011
    WOOHOOOO! [​IMG]D I love her so much. Thank you! Thank you!! [​IMG] [​IMG] I can't wait to see what (kind of egg) she lays.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by