Jethro and Bailey

Discussion in 'Geese' started by josmardavtom, May 20, 2010.

1. josmardavtom

josmardavtom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2010
    Do I dare ask what kind they are. Why does one have black feet and the other orange. I got these at an auction as eggs. How do I tell what's a boy and what's a girl. The orange guy seems to be more one in control. Or maybe I don't want to know if it's like telling on Chickens at this point.

[​IMG]
    I hope this uploads the picture.

2. josmardavtom

Apr 27, 2010
    Or maybe I should have done this [​IMG]
    BINGO!

3. Kim65

Kim65 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    They are the fuzzy adorable kind [​IMG]

Without knowing who parented the eggs, it's a really fun guessing game. For the gosling with the black feet and bill, I would submit Toulouse, African and Brown Chinese. Or of course a mixture of them. Not so sure about the one with yellow legs, definitely a mix, what with those orange legs and dark bill.

My goslings were already sexed when I got them but the male was more friendly and bossy, the female shyer and all that.

Enjoy and have fun with them, post pics as they grow. There are people here who are really good at determining the breed/mix. As far as the sex, that is often a mystery until eggs are layed or not (unless they are sex linked breeds such as Pilgrims)

4. josmardavtom

Apr 27, 2010
    Thank you,
    I have fallen in love with them no matter what they are. They are so sweet, I never thought a bird would act this way to a human. They see me through their box and they start chirping. I think my hubby even has a soft spot for them to. My boys definitly do!

5. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    Geese are the best...I'm glad you're enjoying them. They sure are cute.

6. Kim65

Kim65 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    I love all of my poultry and my goats but those darn geese do *something* to your heart. I call it bewitching. Or maybe possession. Somehow their attachment to me caused me to be equally attached to them. I love having my pair of geese, imprinted on me just enough but they have each other too, and are never lonely or sad when Mom's gone [​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  7. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    Black beaks= a dark breed of goose and orange will be a white or splash. Both of the geese in your pics have a dark beak and will be a gray breed. They are very pretty!

Last edited: May 20, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by