JETHRO is singing the egg song UPDATE: She did it!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gritsar, Dec 24, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I was just out to juvenile coop and found Jethro, one of my two nearly 7 month old silkies, singing the egg song. Loud and clear, I know it was the egg song. Nothing else sounds quite like it.

I looked for a tiny egg, the sort I thought a silkie would lay, but didn't find any. I have two pullets on the nest and I never disturb a hen on the nest, so there is a slight chance that Jethro's egg is under one of them.

I've never had a pullet sing the song unless they had actually laid.

Is it possible that Jethro is just practicing?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  2. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    hehehehhe, yep Jethro probably laid it in the broody nest to make sure her first egg is hatched! [​IMG]

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Yep.

4. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    My hens always steal eggs more often than the hens lay in someone else's already being used nest. I once saw a broody hen roll a duck egg from the entire other side of the yard to hide under her wings. Good chance of it.

I've also had a hen who likes to do the egg party noise whenever someone *ELSE* lays an egg. I'm pretty sure Australorps don't lay teeny blye eggs, anyway. But hot darn she always told me when one was fresh and warm!

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Well one of the nests got vacated, so I checked. An EE egg and an egg from a turken (the one that was occupying the nest last time I checked). This leaves only the broody nest, the one occupied by my meatie broody, to be checked. Searching for a ten foot pole as we speak. [​IMG]

I can't imagine Jethro pushed the meatie out of the way to use her nest. Ellie Mae, maybe. She bosses the meaties aroaund like nobody's business; but not Jethro.

So I guess she was just practicing? [​IMG]

6. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    oooo if the curiousity is too much you will have to put on some armor and go check. [​IMG]
    Sounds like Jethro is pranking ya big time. [​IMG]
    She is probably giggling at you in chicken language while watching you look for the mystery egg.

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:That's exactly what the little twerp...I mean silkie...was doing. No egg from Jethro today, I'm almost 100% positive. Maybe soon, or maybe she'll just go straight to the broody part and skip the egglaying part.

8. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    [​IMG]

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Well, on the plus side............at least this means Jethro is a girl! [​IMG]

I had a red sex link that would sing the egg song first thing every morning. I think she figured out it would get me running up there for an egg (it did) and I'd let her out of the coop. There was never an egg, but she sure had me trained!

10. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG]

I saw Jethro entering a nestbox this morning, so maybe.... [​IMG] Only problem is, it's the nestbox that's housing my broody meatie. Brave Jethro or stupid Jethro. I'm not sure which. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by