Jewel-hen is very ill...

Nats Chickens

Free Ranging
Jun 20, 2018
NSW, Australia
My Coop
My Coop
My best hen (behaviour, egg-laying, etc.) is sick :hit
she is lying in a corner (when provoked, by me or a mosquito, she will move) with hers eyes half shut, not really moving much.
Clear liquid is coming out of her nose...
Her poo is yellow goo with yellow blobs and green bits *gross*.
She is lethargic.
Her breathing is laboured.
She is over three years old (commercial australorp x rhode island red) so, according to all the people around here who have (or have had) this sort, she is getting on.
She is an absolute treasure, very gentle and affectionate, the first chicken (I got her as an eight week old chick) I ever got.
Her name is Jewel, because when I got her she was very ugly and needed a pretty name :love
Do you think it's contagious? One of my other hens, Pip (also three) has minor breathing problems, but they are going away and she is active and running around, happy. Will "it" infect my other birds?
Is she dying of old age?
I would greatly appreciate any advice.
She lives with two hens her own age, three hens one year younger, and two ten week old chicks.
Please - does anyone have any suggestions? Do you know what is causing this? :idunno

My best hen (behaviour, egg-laying, etc.) is sick :hit
she is lying in a corner (when provoked, by me or a mosquito, she will move) with hers eyes half shut, not really moving much.
Clear liquid is coming out of her nose...
Her poo is yellow goo with yellow blobs and green bits *gross*.
She is lethargic.
Her breathing is laboured.
She is over three years old
Do you think it's contagious? One of my other hens, Pip (also three) has minor breathing problems, but they are going away and she is active and running around, happy. Will "it" infect my other birds?
Is she dying of old age?
I'm so sorry to hear about Jewel :hugs
Can you post some photos of her poop and of her?
Have you added any new chickens within the last 30 days?

When is the last time Jewel laid an egg?
Can you feel inside her vent to check for an egg?
Any swelling, bloat or fluid in the abdomen?
What does her crop feel like - is it empty, air or fluid filled, doughy, smelly breath, etc.?

The liquid coming out of the nostrils is concerning along with the labored breathing - can you get a look inside the beak to make sure there's no canker, yellow/white cheesy material or mucous?

The other hen has respiratory symptoms - did she have coughing sneezing or watery eyes as well?

Even if you are dealing with respiratory disease, the chickens have been exposed since they have been together. The bigger concern at the moment would be Jewel's lethargy and distress. It's hard to know what's going on with her. I "think" it's still fairly warm in Australia right now, but I would keep her warm. Try to get her hydrated, this can be difficult if she's having a hard time breathing - see if she will take water from a cup if you hold it up to her beak.

Have you ever wormed her?
Lastly, seeking vet care is best if that is an option for you.

Her breathing is gurgly, but smells normal. Her crop feels like it is filled with mush or fluid.
She breaths with her mouth closed. I will get some pictures tomorrow.
I am not sure if she laid an egg today, but I think she laid one yesterday, and definitely the day before.
It is a reasonable, nice temperature around here.
Her vent looks normal - I will feel her bum for an egg tomorrow (it's night now).
She shakes her head often.
Her nose is cleared up.
She doesn't smell bad.
Her skin is a normal colour.
She is alert, but prefers to lie down.
Thank you for being interested/trying to help! :ya
I hope she gets better too. :fl

Her breathing is gurgly, but smells normal. Her crop feels like it is filled with mush or fluid.
She shakes her head often.
Her nose is cleared up.
She doesn't smell bad.
Gurgly breathing and a crop that is mushy with fluid, I would go ahead and treat her for sour crop if she were mine.
The head shaking, you may want to look in her ears just to make sure that infection or mites are not a problem, but I've found with crop issues a lot of times a hen may shake her head if the crop is fluid filled. Speculation on my part, but I think it's because fluid creeps up the esophagus and the head shaking is an attempt to clear that.
It's good the nose cleared up - again speculation, but that may be directly related to the fluidy crop.

Here's a very good article written by @azygous hopefully that will get you started on treatment. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Gurgly breathing and a crop that is mushy with fluid, I would go ahead and treat her for sour crop if she were mine.
The head shaking, you may want to look in her ears just to make sure that infection or mites are not a problem, but I've found with crop issues a lot of times a hen may shake her head if the crop is fluid filled. Speculation on my part, but I think it's because fluid creeps up the esophagus and the head shaking is an attempt to clear that.
It's good the nose cleared up - again speculation, but that may be directly related to the fluidy crop.

Here's a very good article written by @azygous hopefully that will get you started on treatment. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Thank you. I just spent all my pocket money on amprolium and wormer for the baby chicks, so I don't have enough money for this :(
Are there any other more "homemade" or "free" cures? Please?

@Wyorp Rock
Okay - deep breath.
I could not find Jewel's poo this morning, but I found these under the roost. Three of my hens are not suspects, Jewel, and the other two older hens are suspects. I saw one of the other older ones (Tinky) do this poo:
IMG_3017.JPG

I also noticed an ulsur/scratch on her wattle. It is swollen (sorry, she is a bit flighty, so I couldn't catch her properly):
IMG_3007.JPG

Her abdomen is also swollen and full of fluid (I believe) she will be getting her own thread.
Jewel is still a bit lethargic, but this morning she is much improved. She is more active (a little) and she is preening and cleaning herself. Her breath is improved, and her crop is empty except for a very small amount (easily breakfast) she and Pip were lazing together:
IMG_3010.JPG
IMG_3011.JPG
IMG_3015.JPG

Pip is still a bit throaty, but in good spirits:
IMG_3016.JPG

I found these poos under the roost:
IMG_3020.JPG
IMG_3021.JPG
IMG_3022.JPG
IMG_3018.JPG
IMG_3019.JPG

What would you suspect? Old age? Kidney or liver malfuntion linked to old age? Infection?

What is sour crop?

Back
Top Bottom