Jewel-hen is very ill...

Gurgly breathing and a crop that is mushy with fluid, I would go ahead and treat her for sour crop if she were mine.
The head shaking, you may want to look in her ears just to make sure that infection or mites are not a problem, but I've found with crop issues a lot of times a hen may shake her head if the crop is fluid filled. Speculation on my part, but I think it's because fluid creeps up the esophagus and the head shaking is an attempt to clear that.
It's good the nose cleared up - again speculation, but that may be directly related to the fluidy crop.

Here's a very good article written by @azygous hopefully that will get you started on treatment. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
The link that @Wyorp Rock has on their post.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I also noticed an ulsur/scratch on her wattle. It is swollen (sorry, she is a bit flighty, so I couldn't catch her properly):
Her abdomen is also swollen and full of fluid (I believe) she will be getting her own thread.
Jewel is still a bit lethargic, but this morning she is much improved. She is more active (a little) and she is preening and cleaning herself. Her breath is improved, and her crop is empty except for a very small amount (easily breakfast) s
Pip is still a bit throaty, but in good spirits:
What would you suspect? Old age? Kidney or liver malfuntion linked to old age? Infection?
I'm glad that she is improved. Has she laid an egg?
Not sure what the bump or ulcer on the other's wattle is. If you can gather her up and take a closer look. (photo too) I know I'm asking a LOT I have a Leghorn that is a flighty little thing, once in hand she's o.k. but boy...I usually wait until she's roosting to grab her if I need to check her out - I'm to old, fat and lazy to chase a little white chicken for 1/2 a day :lol:

As for what else to treat the crop...IF it's empty in the morning before she eats/drinks, then I wouldn't treat her. Re-check. The gurgling surely was concerning, but if that's gone away and the crop is empty, she's more active, eating/drinking, then you may want to take a wait and see approach. Maybe she was having troubles with an egg?
What do you feed? The poop is quite green, but that may be normal - do you see green poop often? The yellow urates I've seen that in hens with reproductive issues, but there may be other causes.

IF you feel she needs crop treatment this other article does have some alternatives you can try. It's very detailed. The doughy crop recipe may help, but an anti-fungal is best if you need to treat sour crop.
I know you are AU, so you may not have stores similar to what we have. If you have a Dollar type store, then a lot of times they do have vaginal yeast cream or suppositories for cheap. Those will work if the active ingredient is Miconazole or Clotrimazole.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ntion-and-treatments-of-crop-disorders.67194/
What is sour crop?
@Friendly_Lurker :frow Welcome To BYC! If you will read the article I have linked above, that may answer most of your questions about Sour Crop and other crop issues. If it doesn't, please let me know and I will try my best to get you some answers.

Back
Top Bottom