1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Jewelry obsession?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Skittleinaustin, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Skittleinaustin

Skittleinaustin Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2011
    Austin
    Okay, this is weird but I'm curious. Two of my girls are obsessed with jewelry. When i walk in and sit down, the immediately start attacking my rings, earrings, necklace....anything I'm wearing. Tonight one actually flew at me within a minute of coming in the run, latched onto my dangling earring and tried to fly off! I usually go down in the am right before I leave for the office or when I get home so I'm always wearing something. Is this Judy my girls or do all hens do this? They are 12 weeks old.

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Well one of my EE pecked out my moms eye contact lens. And the love shiny stuff, (and even buttons I noticed) because, you know, it looks yummy like beetles. [​IMG]

3. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    My girls love toenails!! Especially if they are red. I warned my DH about this, but the other day, he made the mistake of wearing sandals around the girls. It was really funny watching a grown man run away from 8 little chickens!

4. yankee123

yankee123 New Egg

Feb 15, 2012
    We have 23 free range and when I go into the coop I have 23 chickens trying to tear my wedding band from my finger! I attribute that behavior to jealousy because I am quite a sexy man!!! lol

5. SouthernBYChickens

SouthernBYChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Alabama
    I have the exact same problem with my hens pecking at my wedding band. I had no idea it was because I'm sexy?!?! :)

6. Irish6425

Irish6425 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Mine go after my jewelry and I have 2 that go crazy for my pink toe nail polish!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by