Jewelry people...

cmb19

Songster
14 Years
Apr 25, 2008
PA
So, I'm attempting to make earrings for myself. I have a bunch of stuff...beads, findings, wire, etc, that I've been accumulating from people. I mentioned I wanted to make earrings just for something to do and now everyone in my family brings me things. I have mostly tiny beads at the moment, but I did pick up a couple bigger sizes yesterday. I've made only 2 sets of earrings so far, mostly because I can't come up with many ideas with the limited beads I have.

I haven't seen many people post earrings they've made, but I'm hoping a few of you will post pictures to this thread so I can brainstorm a bit. The first couple pictures are the first earrings I made...I only had maybe 5 different types of beads to pick from and all of them were small. I'm not very impressed with this pair, but I will still wear them. The second pair I actually like quite a lot. There will be one picture each with the earrings in my hand, that's the closest I can get to the actual colors of the beads.

I also promise the earrings are not crooked and uneven, I just don't have anything to hang them on for pictures.
roll.png

IMG_0788.jpg

IMG_0814.jpg

IMG_0793.jpg

IMG_0806.jpg

Those are cute! You did a really nice job, especially with the loops/wraps.

I make jewelry, as well. It's a great hobby & I make a little pocket change here and there (my jewelry making addiction, however, is far worse than my chicken addiction).

I will get off work in a few hours and will scan in some of my earrings. I like nice and simple ideas but have some other great ideas. You will also find lots of great ideas at firemountaingems.com and try Auntie's Beads. Auntie's has TONS of jewelry-making videos and other really fun, neat stuff.

There have been bead and jewelry-making supply swaps on BYC, as well, and those are fun to participate in. I got some REALLY nifty glass chicken beads in my packet, which I in turn used to make a bracelet for another BYCer.

Why thank you. I don't think it will take me long to become quite good with the loops..wrapping is a different problem all together. I have shaky hands, so I had a bit of trouble.

Thanks for the websites, I'll definitely check those out.

I look forward to seeing your pictures.
big_smile.png

Those earrings look great. I make jewelry too. I've dabbled in making different kinds, with seed beads and the use of beading needles, sterling silver wire, gemstones, and now I'm just getting into using lots of Swarovski crystals. I mainly make bracelets and necklaces, though. I would post some pictures of pearl earrings I've made but it's too dark for my camera so I'll have to wait!

I don't know if I will ever have the patience for seed beads. I was given a few bead needles and just sat there staring at them trying to figure out how the heck you use them. Tiny things are not my friends.
big_smile.png

And thank you.

Those look great!

Sometimes it can look good to have a head pin with a medium sized bead or crystal on the bottom and just a long length of seed beads above it. It's a very sleek look. I try to make the loop at the top a bit smaller than usual, to not overpower the seed beads visually. A flatter, slightly disk shaped bead at the bottom works, too.

I made a new pair tonight so I could try out my wigjig. Yeah...lots harder to use that thing than I expected. The wire is a pretty copper, but it's not showing up nicely in the pictures. I don't even know how to describe the beads...it's like taking a block of wood (tiny wood of course) and cutting out random pieces so there are lots of edges. I'm also not sure how to describe the color, although the pictures are fairly close.

The earrings themselves are actually pretty flat and even, I took the pictures with them sitting on a piece of foam so they look a little warped. Um, also, ignore the dog hair..I have a black lab.
hmm.png

IMG_0853.jpg

IMG_0856.jpg

Very nice job! Yeah, the wigjig can be tough when you first start with it. I still struggle with it & I've been making jewelry for 14 years. Your earrings are very beautiful.

I have some beads the same color & I call it a "red amber" color with an AB finish.

Back
Top Bottom