Jezebel plays hide and seek

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gritsar, Nov 2, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Jezebel is one of my adult chickens, a light brahma hen.
    Jezzie doesn't like to sleep on a roost at night. She always wants to sleep in a nestbox. I am a mean chicken mommy and don't allow any nestbox sleeping.
    For more than two years now I have gone into the adults coop to do a headcount before locking them up each night, come up short one chook, feel around in the nestboxes until I locate Jezzie, remove her kickin' and screamin' and deposit her on a roost.
    Two years this has gone on! [​IMG]
    Tonight I go in and do my headcount and come up short one chook, as usual. Feel around in the nestboxes, no Jezzie. I start to panic. Double check my headcount, look all around the coop, check the nestboxes again; still no Jezzie.
    On a hunch I decided to check the babies coop. There in a nestbox what do I find but Jezebel.
    Chickens! [​IMG]

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    aww MOM!!! let her spleep in the box [​IMG] thats so cute--I have a few that do that and I dont like it at all because of the extra cleaning but some are so darn stubborn-I gave up! some have even taught their chicks to do it and they grow up doing it! Most break it themselves but I still have 1 or 2 that torture me! [​IMG]

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Okay, you talked me into it. But first, Jezebel has to promise me that she will only use one nestbox, the same one every night. Cleaning poo out of one nestbox I can handle, but not all of them. [​IMG]

4. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I am glad you have decided that Jezebel can have a box to sleep in... I hope she will find the one that she loves... good luck.. She may be like my two EE --they would NOT sleep on the roost.. I removed them every night for months and finally gave up... To my surprise, at about a yr old, I found they were sleeping on the roost..

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    You hard headed human! Geeshh! Some gals just want to sleep alone! Bless her little heart.

6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Maybe if she wants to sleep alone so badly she could learn to clean her own nestbox? [​IMG]

7. GotChicken?

GotChicken? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    The Thumb, MI
    My bantam Polish has 3 8-week old chicks that are more than capable of roosting, but she insists on keeping them with her in her favorite nest box.

I think she's still jittery about a mink attack that occurred when she was setting on the babies while they were still in their eggs. She survived because she stayed still and quiet in that nest box, and the mink never noticed her. Unfortunately, her chick from her first ever hatch was one of the chickens that was killed, and I think she's afraid to lose her new batch of kids. Poor, sweet thing.

8. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    i cant break my silkie hen from sleeping in the box she is so stubborn. o well i guess there is no harm just a little extra cleaning

9. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    All of my adult flock is acting a bit jittery since the hawk attack that took my Lil'Bit, but Jezzie has wanted to sleep in the box long before the hawk attack. My coop is very secure. I think it's her place in the pecking order that causes her to act this way.
    Tonight I didn't argue with her. She probably is sleeping in the box.

10. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    i have a silky that does that- so she has a dog crate just her own- none of the others do it. Wonder if Jez gets picked on at nite so decided the box was more peaceful?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by