JG roo x Delaware hen...question

BarkerChickens

Microbrewing Chickenologist
12 Years
Nov 25, 2007
High Desert, CA
Ok...beginner in genetics here, so please bear with with me...
I understand that the white in Dels is related to a silver gene AND a recessive white. The JG will pass on the dominant black to all the offspring. So, all offspring will be black. BUT, Dels have barring in their tails (obviously mostly black in females), so is it passed on a sexlinked gene for tail color? If so, does it only exist if the hen has the full barring (that they aren't suppose to have as girls)? In my novice thinking, all should be black, but the boys should have barred tails. Is this wrong?

All resulting cockerels will be Cuckoo/barred & all pullets will be Black.

"I understand that the white in Dels is related to a silver gene AND a recessive white" There is no Recessive White in Delawares.

"The JG will pass on the dominant black to all the offspring. " There is no dominant black, but the Jersey Giants have Extended Black at the 'e' allele, & Melanotic.

"If so, does it only exist if the hen has the full barring " Females can only be hemizygous for sex linked dominants i.e. B/-

"BUT, Dels have barring in their tails (obviously mostly black in females), so is it passed on a sexlinked gene for tail color?" The barring in the neck hackles,wing & tail only show because a Delaware is a Barred Silver Columbian.

Have a look at Genetics for Chicken Colours - The Basics at chickencolours.com
David

PS Any you have any difficulties in getting the book email or PM me.

Thanks again! I looked at the book and apparently it is $100, which I can't afford at this moment. I would like to get it, but it'll have to wait a few months.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom