Jim's Chicken Ranch #2

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Pepurr, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Pepurr

Pepurr Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2011
    Bernalillo, NM
    Here is Jim's Chicken Ranch #2, for you. [​IMG]

2. christineavatar

christineavatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Bolinas, CA
    Thanks Pepurr! Good fun!

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Chicken Ranch Rules!

4. Pepurr

Dec 19, 2011
    Bernalillo, NM
    I am happy you guys like Jim's Chicken Ranch.

The next episode will feature my home made incubator. Then later we will observe the hatching.

I plan on selling most of the chicks that hatch out this year. Also, as soon as the nightly temps stop going below 45 degrees, I'm going to let some hens go broody.

All 6 of my hens have been laying their eggs in the same nest, inside an old animal carrier. Yesterday I tried to make the other nests more inviting for egg laying. I want them to quit laying in one nest. If they don't use the other nests today, I will block off their favorite egg laying hole, then they will have no choice but to use the other spots.

I think things will go easier if, when I have a few broody hens, the others aren't trying to deposit more eggs in the same nest. As it stands now, they love that one nest so much, they will wait till one finishes laying so they can get in the favorite nest. Sometimes it is even funny. When one is waiting, it will circle the hen house, then go look to see if they can get in that fav. nest. If they can't, they make some clucking noise like they are ****** off. Then circle the hen house again.

Thanks for watching.

5. Pepurr

Dec 19, 2011
    Bernalillo, NM
  6. Pepurr

Dec 19, 2011
    Bernalillo, NM
    By the way. You can find Jim's Chicken Ranch, other classic movies and government produced video at my Youtube channel.

Omacron's Movie & Film Pub

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by