JMajors and BackSwampGirl!!! Update on the eggs!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shelleyd2008, Dec 20, 2008.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    First off, these two lovely people were nice enough to help feed my new hatching addiction: ducks!!

I have gotten a total of 13 SQ pekin duck eggs and 6 chinese/pilgrim goose eggs from JMajors, two different sets. First was 5 duck and 4 goose. None of the goose eggs made it very long, if at all, and 2 of the duck eggs quit early. [​IMG] 3 pekin duck eggs went to the hatcher today, and 2 of them are moving around in there! [​IMG]

Second set was 8 duck and 2 goose. The P.O. was not very nice to this set, as there were 2 duck and 1 goose egg that were broke on arrival [​IMG] One of the duck eggs had only a crack that was visible when candling, but I could not feel it upon scratching with my nail. So I set 7 duck and 1 goose. Out of these eggs, they are now on day 6, and there are 5 duck eggs and 1 goose egg that have good veins!! [​IMG] The one that was cracked is holding on strong!! [​IMG] The other 2 duck eggs have one that looks like a quitter, and one that looks clear.

BackSwampGirl sent me a total of 15 eggs from her cayugas and rouens. All arrived in perfect shape. Upon candling one was found out to be a double yolker, so this one is going into a nice cake batter! [​IMG] Out of the 14 eggs that were set in the bator, I have 12 little wigglers! [​IMG] The other two eggs are both clear. I think one had a bit of rough handling from the P.O., cause the yolk is free-floating, and not developing. These eggs are only on day 4, but they have very good veins!! [​IMG]

I promise not to candle again for a week, and I will keep you both (and anyone else who cares to read) updated on how they do!!

Keep your [​IMG] for me and my little quackers!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  2. BackSwampGirl

BackSwampGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Richlands,NC 28574
    [​IMG] I do wish you the best of luck.And I pray they do good for you.At you got a doble yolkone to make a great cake.Maybe a coconut cake,,,yummmm.I am so glad they have got veins.Yes keep me informed,,,Sorry about the clear one.But I thought sure they all were fertile.,,I am so sorry. [​IMG]

3. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Oh, don't worry!! It was probably something to do with the shipping anyway. You know how the P.O. does with anything marked 'fragile'. The one with the 'floater' yolk has not developed at all at this point, but the other one looks like it did, or is, but I'm not sure. You can see a small 'O' in there, but no veins. But still, 12 of 14 eggs is not bad at all!

4. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Good Luck to you!! You should have some good news in the New Year!![​IMG] [​IMG]

Cindy

5. flamingauburnmustang

flamingauburnmustang Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    South Africa
    [​IMG] I wish you the best of luck for all your eggs. [​IMG]

And I'll pray hard for the cracked one. [​IMG]

6. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    2 of the 3 pekins moved to the hatcher last night have PIPS!! [​IMG] [​IMG] The other one is just a bit on the slow side. I checked them earlier and it was pushing on the membrane!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by