JMF Quail - What Do I Have - Feather-Sexing

intangible04

Chirping
Jul 5, 2015
Pueblo, CO
Hi Everyone,

I ordered hatching Coturnix eggs from JMF. When I was talking with him he's such a busy guy that I was barely following what he was saying because he was going so fast and because of that, I'm not sure of the exact coloring I ended up getting. I believe it was between Goldens, James Marie or American Pharaoh. I was looking for a dual purpose bird but more so for eggs. If I remember right, I didn't seen anything specific on the packing slip other than JMF so maybe it's James Marie Pharaoh, or maybe it was JMP. When I submitted payment, he had me input "JM" so that makes me think they're James Marie Pharaohs. I've tried contacting him a couple of times but haven't been able to reach him. So a few questions,

Question 1: What variety do I have? (Picture below, they're 10 days old)
Question 2: And maybe the one I'm most interested in, are they one of the feather-sexing varieties (I believe they are).
Question 3: Generally, how soon before they can start being feather-sexed? I'm guessing once they're breast feathers have fully come in. They will be 2 weeks old Tuesday.

Those are probably James Marie Pharaohs, they look like the Pharaoh/wildtype. Yes they are a feather color sexing variety, males should have red chests and females should have speckled chests. You can usually tell a male from a female by 2-3 weeks in my experience.

Those are probably James Marie Pharaohs, they look like the Pharaoh/wildtype. Yes they are a feather color sexing variety, males should have red chests and females should have speckled chests. You can usually tell a male from a female by 2-3 weeks in my experience.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom