Job application question

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Lothiriel, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    I am in the process of applying for my first job. Since it's my first, I have no previous employers. The application says if I have never been employed before, I can list references ("non-relatives only, please" [​IMG]).

But... Where would I put those? In the spaces where the previous employers would go? I would list their phone numbers... Do I need to include addresses, both home and email?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  2. Avonlea22

Avonlea22 Jessamine Cottage

Aug 27, 2011
    Are you applying online? I would just ask the HR person, or whomever gave you the application as to where you should put the info. It's better to ask and do it right than just write it somewhere where they're not expecting it to be. Best of luck!

3. Lothiriel

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    It's in person -- paper application.

Thanks! [​IMG]

4. Avonlea22

Aug 27, 2011
    No probs. I would also ask what information they're looking for for the references, but phone numbers are usually best. Come prepared with addresses and emails just in case.

5. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    print out a separate list to go with your app. give it the same heading as your resume (your name and contact info) and title it "references", then neatly list your best ones (and make sure you ask them first so they know to expect a possible phone call on your behalf!), their relationship to you, and their contact info.

if the HR person says to do something else, you can use that sheet to copy the info where ever the HR person says to. if there isn't an HR person available to ask, or if the separate page is fine, then you're done and you can just hand in that sheet and look all prepared as you do so. also, paperclip your resume/app/references together, don't staple.

good luck!

6. Avonlea22

Aug 27, 2011
    Excellent advice!

7. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    If you've ever done any volunteer work, that may look good as well. Just signify that it was volunteer work.

Edited for a typo.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  8. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Good Luck! [​IMG]

9. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    also, since you don't have job experience, make sure your resume includes any other responsible things you've done, stuff like being an officer in a club, being in charge of some project or task, volunteer work, memberships in relavant organizations (nothing fluffy here), anything that shows you can take responsibility and deliver.

how are your interview skills? if you need help with that, let me know and I'll post some ideas. I work contract, and most jobs are 3-18 months so I job-seek and interview a lot.

10. Lothiriel

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Interview skills? No idea.. I've never been interviewed. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by