Job Search - 4 possible Jobs! Help me choose!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by greenfamilyfarms, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Cvs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. K-Mart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Daycare

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Sub Teacher

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    After searching for the past 6 months (at least) for a regular job, I have four possibilities. Each one of these have offered me a position and I have to make up my mind which one(s) I need to accept.

1. CVS as a Pharmacy Tech - paid training, flexible scheduling, good pay.
    2. K-Mart as a cashier - flexible schedule, holiday season work, decent pay.
    3. Working at the Daycare/After School program at my church - good pay, good kids but will be alone many days with several kids (ages 2-5) due to a shortage of staff.
    4. Continue working as a Sub Teacher for High School - short days, ok pay, 1.5 hour paid break.

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    CVS sounds like a pretty good deal IMO. Plus, you may get employee discounts there, and who couldn't use that?!

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Just my opinion, but I shop at CVS fairly often. There's a young man there who used to work in the grocery store I frequent and he changed to CVS 2.5 years ago. I have asked him about it, and he says CVS is great. I know I have never encountered an unhappy employee in my shopping of 6+ years there.

BTW, congratulations on your offers and the obvious hard work you have put into your job search! [​IMG] I think you'll be great at whatever you choose!

4. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

K-mart would possibly mean having this same conversation come January... for that reason alone I'd vote for CVS over Kmart.

You know Subbing already, no training involved. Not 40hrs a week every week guaranteed, but at least it's something you know you're good at.

The Church thing can get to be a bit much... it's similar to working for family... thus if it gets to be too much it can be really hard to move on without feeling 2" tall. Since they're already having issues you'd have to be prepared for that additional emotional stuff.

Also, it's possible that doing one of the three new ones would still leave you time to Sub now and again so that's neat as well.

Me, hating to let family down and preferring to know what I'll be doing for the next year not just the next month... I'd choose CVS and in my spare days keep my hand in on Subbing and pitch in when I could at the Church. Steady work for you, keeping doors open, and helping your 'family' that you know is in need of help but maybe can't afford to hire a full staff... *shrug*

5. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I would probably vote CVS over all the other jobs. If they are going to pay for the pharm tech training, that is pretty awesome. That's a useful thing to have if you ever need to search for a new job!

6. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I got with good pay and stability everytime!!!

I am against daycares whether for your kids, or for positions to work. Those people who run those places are slave drivers and with that many kids they have no respect for the kids, for the teachers or the parents unless you are shelling out for a private $3000 a month place, they aren't worth it! [​IMG] JMO

7. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    I'd go with the pharmacy tech position. Health care has been affected by the economy but not to the extent that other areas have. My husband and I both are both in healthcare field and I am glad for it these days. It sucks that we have to work alot of holidays and stuff but the other stuff is mostly good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by