Joe has been beaten by someone

joeowener

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 20, 2013
Good day

On 4 of January, our Rooster Joe has been beaten by someone we suspect the neighbour.
We just found him laying on the ground half alive. We rushed to the vet he has his beak broken, he stood at the vet for one week they repaired his wing and give him food. He was back at home a week later we didn't see much improvement. we give him his meds and food last week we went back he got powder food that needs to be mix with water we are feeding him 20 ml by syringe and he is getting 1ml SULFATRIM , his poop is getting better Green and white, before that week was white only, he sleeps allot but he is inside in the house in a cage/kennel we bought for the dogs XL. He is getting his breakfast by serving at 4.30 in the morning and his dinner at 7 pm. we don't have much clue. Can somebody give us advice, ?? wat else give him? maybe something natural to give him spirit back? sounds his situation back? He barely can stand but that is because his wing is wrapped by the veterinary with a plaster. PLEASE HELP

• I'm so sorry this happened. Have you tried talking to the neighbor?
  • I'm not a veterinarian, so always follow your vet's advice first.
  • I really hope he lives, and I'm sure you do too, but make sure you are prepared for if he does not make it, because there's always the chance that he won't.
  • Isolate him from your other chickens, and put him in a clean, warm pen, with a low or no perch. If you want to, hang a a low-watt lightbulb to one side of the pen, so that he can more easily maintain his own comfort level by moving closer or farther away from the heat.
  • Make sure there is good ventilation in the area, but it should not be drafty. It should not be completely dark, but keeping it somewhat darkened will encourage Joe to remain calm.
  • Always provide clean water and fresh feed. Add vinegar to nonmedicated water at the rate of one tablespoon per gallon, to make it more appealing and encourage him to drink. If he doesn't want to eat, try giving him treats, such as raisins, chopped up veggies, mealworms, or pasta. When adding the vinegar to the water, I would encourage using plain apple cider vinegar, if you have some. That's what I always use for my chickens.
  • If you want to add electrolytes to his water, you may do that, but do some research first, because it might or might not be good for Joe's individual needs.
  • If it seems that Joe is developing an infection, you may want to consider talking to your vet about feeding him garlic, which has an astounding number of beneficial qualities, including being a great antibiotic, antiseptic, immune system booster, and it helps control mites if used as a spray.
  • Other herbal treatments that you can consider include arnica, which is used to control swelling and bruising, symphytum, which is used to mend broken bones, basil, which is used to improve general and bone health, dandelion, which is used to relieve pain, lavendar, which is used to heal wounds and relieve pain, marigold, which is also used to heal wounds, mint, which, again, is used to heal wounds, nasturtium, which also heals wounds, parsley, which improves general health, and rosemary, which heals wounds and relieves pain.
  • If you have any questions, feel free to ask me, and if he gets worse, be sure to see the vet.

Poor Joe. It may not have been a human that beat Joe. It could have been a dog. Either way, he could also be suffering from shock.

Electrolytes in his water, fresh each day, will help a lot. Electrolytes can be purchased or you can make it by mixing 1/2 cup (100 grams) hot water, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, and 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar. Cool down and give it to him in place of plain water. If you have it, 1 teaspoon flavored jello powder added will make the mixture tasty and Joe will want to drink it.

If you can find him some meal worms or other insects, I know it would perk him up. Boiled chopped egg should help, too.

I think he will survive, but it will take time.

You may want to go up to the search box at the top of this page and type in "go team tube feeding" a good thread on how to learn to tube feed. That might help to keep his nutrition good until he heals. With a broken beak, it may take time to see if it will heal. Offering feed mixed with a lot of water in a tall bowl when he seems like he can eat. Sorry that he was badly injured. Is he your only rooster? Can he get out of your yard?

He is our only Rooster we don't have other chickens or roosters. He got meds, and he is inside in a cage. He is not eating along we are force feeding him with a syringe but once we apply it in his tongue he eats it without the problem. Thank you for your advice gonna ask the vet about garlic. Talking to the Neighbour is not use trust me, they are just uncivilised to put it lightly

It was a human, The veterinary said he was so hard beaten it was not possible for a dog or even cat do it, he had No bite marks anywhere
We are feeding him with a syringe at home we just put in his mouth and he eats it .drinks it

No, he is not able to get out of our yard no can a dog enter it, the veterinarian said his injuries can be done by an animal dogs shake and bite and by his size no cat is able to injure him like this he had no bite marks or any claws marks. Yes, he is our only one, we don't have more birds only two dogs and those were inside when it happened. Thank you

Last edited:
You might want to investigate some homemade chicken slings to get him upright for parts of the day. Please give us an update on Joe's condition in week or so to let us know how he is doing. Vets can prescribe meloxicam (metacam) for pain and inflammation, or you can give him a baby aspirin twice a day in his food for pain. I hope he recovers.

Last edited:
  • I'm so sorry this happened. Have you tried talking to the neighbor?
  • I'm not a veterinarian, so always follow your vet's advice first.
  • I really hope he lives, and I'm sure you do too, but make sure you are prepared for if he does not make it, because there's always the chance that he won't.
  • Isolate him from your other chickens, and put him in a clean, warm pen, with a low or no perch. If you want to, hang a a low-watt lightbulb to one side of the pen, so that he can more easily maintain his own comfort level by moving closer or farther away from the heat.
  • Make sure there is good ventilation in the area, but it should not be drafty. It should not be completely dark, but keeping it somewhat darkened will encourage Joe to remain calm.
  • Always provide clean water and fresh feed. Add vinegar to nonmedicated water at the rate of one tablespoon per gallon, to make it more appealing and encourage him to drink. If he doesn't want to eat, try giving him treats, such as raisins, chopped up veggies, mealworms, or pasta. When adding the vinegar to the water, I would encourage using plain apple cider vinegar, if you have some. That's what I always use for my chickens.
  • If you want to add electrolytes to his water, you may do that, but do some research first, because it might or might not be good for Joe's individual needs.
  • If it seems that Joe is developing an infection, you may want to consider talking to your vet about feeding him garlic, which has an astounding number of beneficial qualities, including being a great antibiotic, antiseptic, immune system booster, and it helps control mites if used as a spray.
  • Other herbal treatments that you can consider include arnica, which is used to control swelling and bruising, symphytum, which is used to mend broken bones, basil, which is used to improve general and bone health, dandelion, which is used to relieve pain, lavendar, which is used to heal wounds and relieve pain, marigold, which is also used to heal wounds, mint, which, again, is used to heal wounds, nasturtium, which also heals wounds, parsley, which improves general health, and rosemary, which heals wounds and relieves pain.
  • If you have any questions, feel free to ask me, and if he gets worse, be sure to see the vet.

This is worth revisiting because it is all great advice.

Here are several examples of homemade slings which may help them to eat, stand, and keep out of their droppings:

LL
LL
59765_pp.jpg
47386_dixie_slung_09-19-2010_2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom