Joined 2 years ago, still new in South Carolina

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by LeAnnL, Oct 18, 2014.

1. LeAnnL

LeAnnL Out Of The Brooder

Hello everyone
    I joined this forum 2 years ago, I got my baby chicks in April of this year! LOL took me that long to read and absorb enough to feel confident enough to get some birds. Wish I had known as much about raising real babies 30 years ago! I blame it on lack of internet. I was terrified of birds since I was 5 years old. I do mean terrified. I now have 7 Buff Orpingtons and a Buff Rock (she was an accident, but I love her) They sit on my lap, my shoulders, pretty much wherever they want. I had no idea I could love a chicken like I do these girls! I hand raised them in the house, while my boxer looked on and was jealous!
    My girls have just started laying, and they are beautiful. They are funny, gentle, curious and smart. When I shake a can of either cracked corn, or even just feed, I LOVE to watch them come running, a running chicken is just hilarious!
    I started them on Fodder (I grow it in my dining room) when they were 10 or 12 weeks old, so getting regular feed is a treat to them lol.
    We live in upstate SC in the foothills of the Smokies, Originally from MI.

2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC! It sounds as if you are enjoying your girls a lot. What type of fodder are you raising for them? I'm curious because I've begun to think about this idea also.

Glad to have you here!

3. LeAnnL

I do Barley fodder, it reaches maturity in 6-7 days. And its so much cheaper than the feed. And really nutrient dense.

1 person likes this.
  4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] So glad you joined us. They do love attention, and we love theirs.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So glad you are enjoying your flock! Chickens sure are fun to keep.

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock!

6. LeAnnL

Thanks everyone. I had so many people tell me, "oh your going to regret it, they are so much work." They were a lot of work as babies since they were in a brooder in my spare bathroom, then they graduated to a big dog crate in the living room, had to clean it every single day. But now that they are outside, not much work at all really. I use coarse sand as bedding, and in the run so its a matter of sifting out the poop kind of kitty litter style. We have pretty much clay here for top soil. I clean the coop every 2 days, and the run once a week, gather eggs, feed and water, look them over. My dog is more work than all 8 of my girls. I do enjoy them [​IMG]

7. vpatt

vpatt Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome.:weee

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

9. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I totally agree. They are actually so much fun to tend to. I also have sand in coop, run…also in nestboxes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by