Joining the incubating crew again!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by asher, Jan 15, 2009.

1. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    We got our first bantam duck eggs this week! [​IMG] Of course, I *must* test them to make sure they are growing, right, even though I have two testers waiting to test them for me. [​IMG] (Plus that whole fear of "What if they stop laying before I can hatch any myself?! hehe)

SO got the stuff I needed to make an incubator at the store yesterday. They were out of styrofoam coolers except one without a lid so I hopped on freecycle and asked for one. I'm picking up two today that came from Omaha Steaks and I think four more later this week. I should have plenty to last me a while! [​IMG]

Now I just need to decide when I want to start incubating...how many must I have before I start...that is my only hard decision right now. [​IMG] I need to see how big the coolers are first and that may help me with my decision. I was thinking 12, but may not have enough room (they are bantam, though so the size of standard chicken eggs).

Of course, knowing I have at least four more coolers coming makes me want to make more incubators and see what I can find for eggs to incubate! [​IMG]

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    [​IMG] Good luck!! What kind of bantam ducks are they?

3. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Australian spotteds [​IMG]

The drake is bonded and such a sweetheart. Hoping if we get any of these to hatch, we can get them bonded as well. They make fabulous pets. Not sure we will keep all of what hatches, but I do like to get any of our animals used to being pet and handled by adults AND kids so they will make good pets for whomever they end up with.

I told DH I have the oddest drake ever, he LOVES to snuggle. [​IMG]

4. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    You could always borrow my Hovabator. [​IMG]

Older model, but works well. As long as you return clean and in same condition, there is no charge.

I am not hatching anything till at least April and then I hope to have a broody or 2 to do what I need.

Matt

5. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Awwww! That's nice of you! I actually just got these coolers today. OMG. They're awesome! If I borrowed the Hovabator...I'd likely end up filling that, too. [​IMG] Probably NOT a good idea, but thank you! [​IMG]

(BTW, I just sent you an e-mail like 10 minutes ago about something unrelated! [​IMG])

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by