Joining the ranks of the back yard breeder

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by L&Schickens, Nov 5, 2008.

1. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I just took my "Avian Disease Prevention Training Course Test". I need to make an apointment with the state vet to have my flock tested. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of becoming a NPIP member and having your flock tested?

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Let me know if they make you an appointment for NPIP as they told me they were out of money.

I was supposed to be retested this week and they will not come out and do it.

You legally cannot move birds in and out of the State of Washington without NPIP certification or a vet certificate.

3. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    That is interesting. My friend sent me her birds a few months ago from California. They were not tested or vetted and came in just fine.

4. pips&peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    L&Schickens :

That is interesting. My friend sent me her birds a few months ago from California. They were not tested or vetted and came in just fine.

I bet they did, but it was still illegal.​

5. pips&peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Did you contact the Dept of AG?

I've been bugging them all day. Please, please call them and let me know what kind of answer they give you.

6. Just-Like-Hatching

Just-Like-Hatching Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Dothan, AL
    I am NPIP licensed and am glad that I can say I have a tested flock and that I can legally move poultry across the border.

7. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    Sorry I did not get back to this earlier.

I just got my Certificate of Completion for Avian Health Training and now I wait till January for the vet to come test the birds. That is what The Avian Health Coordinator told me any way.
    So, now you and I can both sit on our hands till then, I guess. [​IMG]

8. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    I have recently been in contact with the state to pursue NPIP.

I was told they are out of budget money until the first of the year for NEW NPIP participants. They are still engaged in getting things lined up though and promised to contact me to schedule for right after the first of the year.

I was also told:

"Currently, we are also creating a fee schedule, which will affect NPIP
    participants in the future. In December, WSDA will be conducting public
    hearings about fee for service."

So, keep your eyes open.

Don

9. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    This state charges for the air you breath. [​IMG]

10. pips&peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    If they have to have hearings on the matter, you can rest assured that they will not be doing testing in January.

Also, I have been in touch with Dr. Eldridge and have made arrangements to get my birds tested on my own. I will be paying a vet tech to come out and draw blood and then paying the Avian Health Lab a $10.00 accession fee and then .75 cents per blood test. ( The guidelines are 10% or 30 birds, whichever is more of your flock needs to be tested.)

ETA: I have til the end of the month to get this done or my certification expires.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by