Joining the ranks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Autumn Leaves, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Autumn Leaves

Autumn Leaves Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2014
    Cincinnati Ohio
    I wanted to tell everyone that I'm getting my first ducks in March!!!!! I am so excited. I am getting 15 Magpie's from Chickcharney Farms. They will be black with a chance of blue.

I can't wait to have my house messy with wet duckies! [​IMG]

I have no idea what I am going to do with 15 of them [​IMG]

I picked Magpies because they are a rare breed and for their personality and size. I plan on breeding them and having a small batch of babies each year. I wanted to pick a breed that needed some help.

In the future I plan on getting 2 Sweedish to use as broodies, or some large fowl Cochins. I'm sick of using an incubator.

2. PotatoWaffles

PotatoWaffles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2014
    Northwest Ohio

It's funny how we have no idea what to do with so many ducks, and yet we get them anyway. I have two adult ducks, five ducklings, and three more ducklings on the way. What am I gonna do with them? I dunno, love them and stuff, lol. You just can't say no to ducks, haha.

Congrats on your first ducks, I hope everything goes well for you. Don't hesitate to ask questions, I know I didnt, lol. Everyone is super friendly here and loves to help.

3. Autumn Leaves

Aug 31, 2014
    Cincinnati Ohio
    I don't think my husband quite realizes what 15 ducks will be like [​IMG]

I will be sure to ask tons of questions. Right now I'm looking for some brewers yeast to add to my chick feed.

March needs to get here fast!

4. Kaessa

Kaessa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2015
    Fruita, CO
    I'm in the same boat as you! I have 10 Muscovies coming in April. It's going to be entertaining, to say the least.

I bought brewer's yeast on Amazon, there's a lot of it on there. :)

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Think big like as large a brooder as you can get because your going to need it and might as well start out with one. Here is a thread about caring and raising ducklings. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  6. Autumn Leaves

Aug 31, 2014
    Cincinnati Ohio
    I was just thinking about this - they grow so fast! I was planning on starting with a kiddie pool I used for my chicks for the first week. Hopefully then it will be warm enough in my garage for me to set up a pen out there with the panels I use to let my rabbit out in the summer. It is going to depend on the weather. I currently have my 2 hens in the garage pen because it is -9F outside. My garage is just above freezing thanks to some nice insulation I put in this autumn.

If I can't put them in the garage I'll have to convert half of my laundry room to a duck brooder - my rabbit will not be happy sharing his home.

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    go to needlessjunk profile scroll down to the bottom she has pics on how she set up her brooder using a kiddy pool. https://www.backyardchickens.com/u/285627/needlessjunk

If your garage is only just above freezing your going to need a heat lamp with your duckling out there until they are feathered in. or it gets considerably warmer. You start ducklings out at 85* especially since you'll have 15. then drop the temp 5* each week until fully feathered I believe I'd start preparing bunny now for his new room mates. lol

8. Autumn Leaves

Aug 31, 2014
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Yep yep, I monitor the garage temp very closly. I acutally just checked it and I was shocked - it is 40F in the garage! My chickens out there are living it up in luxury! I will definatly test the temperature with the heat lamp before moving them out in the garage - I have a feeling they will end up in my laundry room for a long time.

Thanks for the link to the pool brooder!

My bunny is already upset because I have a single chick in a brooder in his room, he is giving me some serious stink eye! He keeps leaving the room and sitting in my kitchen. I think I'll have to bribe him with some treats.

9. Autumn Leaves

Aug 31, 2014
    Cincinnati Ohio
    OMG I just looked at the pictures - those ducks are huge! I'm going to run out of space so fast! My poor laundry room is going to be full of ducks! [​IMG]

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    LOL spoiled bunny. 40F oh my gosh I won't tell my flock that it's going down to below 0 with wind tonight. Thank goodness no babies. They all got very deep bedding and are all snuggled in for the night, tomorrow will be the challenge.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by