1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Joining you from St. Pete FL

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mellomyst, Jul 27, 2013.

1. mellomyst

mellomyst Hatching

Jul 23, 2013
    Hello everyone. I'm Brett. I just joined and am still trying to learn things about the chicken raising world. I'm hoping to get some nice egg laying chicks soon. Looking for some advice on breeds for the FL weather. I have found Silies , RIR, and sex linked available so far.

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer Premium Member

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] Need to find breeds that tolerate the Florida heat. I'm from ST. Pete and I remember how hot and wet those summers can be. Silkies might have problems with that kind of heat, but RIR might fare better. But as with any living creature, supply plenty of shade, lots of cooling stations (some chickens enjoy a cool water foot bath), and frozen fruits.

Are you planning to buy from a hatchery or local breeder?

3. mellomyst

mellomyst Hatching

Jul 23, 2013
    I haven't decided yet if I'm going to get from local or hatchery. I'm leaning towards local. I also just saw some Black Star. When I've used the search to narrow it done I end up with only about 3 breeds to choose from.

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer Premium Member

May 11, 2010
    If you buy local bird from a good source, you most likely will buy birds whose ancestors survived the Fla heat thus their offspring should be able to do well.

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Crowing

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, mellomyst, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! While it's true that heat is a bigger issue for chickens than cold, in proper conditions you can raise a great variety of birds in that climate....just make sure they have plenty of access to shade, breeze, and fresh cool water! Good luck to you!

6. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Songster

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome.....so glad you joined BYC

7. mellomyst

mellomyst Hatching

Jul 23, 2013
    Thank you everyone for being so friendly and welcoming. My brother and myself are both pretty handy so I've been looking at the different coops available and designs so we can make one if needed. Also examining food and water ideas. So far I like the PVC options

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    [​IMG]

9. saracalderas

saracalderas Songster

May 21, 2013
    Centeral Utah
    Welcome to BYC!

10. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Crowing Premium Member