Joint Medicine questions

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by WiseChicks, Apr 9, 2009.

1. WiseChicks

WiseChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Hudson, WI
    Hi! I have recently acquired 2 Great Pyrennes pups, and want to start them on joint health supplements. In the past I've used the horse and large dog glucosamine/fish oil stuff. At Fleet Farm yesterday, I found the same stuff, packaged for dogs, and it was CLEARANCED because it is "expiring" next month. Is there anything in it that really "expires"? Calcium, fish oil, vegetable protiens, iron, liver powder, magnesium, vitamin E.

My gut reaction is that it should still be "good"... any other ideas?

I bought a 6 month supply last night, and am soooooooo tempted to go and get more. (I got a 6 month supply for the price I'd normally pay for 1 month!!)

Thanks!!!

2. Goattalker

Goattalker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    First of all, why are you providing joint supplements for puppies? If they are so badly bred that they require this kind of immediate medication, I would take them back to the breeder. Secondly, yes some of the ingredients have a shelf life, you may get away with using them IF they have not spoiled (fish oil, veg proteins) but I wouldn't chance it.

3. WiseChicks

WiseChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Hudson, WI
    I am putting the puppies on the joint meds as a supplement, not because they were poorly bred! Like many of the giant breeds, they grow so very fast, and providing suppliments is in the "ounce of prevention" category.

My question was specifically pointed to the properties of the ingredient list. If you can provide an informed answer on that, please do so.

4. Goattalker

Goattalker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Ahh, yes many of the larger breeds need increased calcium levels because they grow so rapidly. Glucosomine and Chondrotin should not be needed by growing dogs, their should have ample joint fluids. You can buy DiCalcium Phosphate for horses and use that to supplement your dogs, it is very reasonably priced.

I answered your question in the body of my first post, I would not chance using the expired meds. Fish oil and veg oils can go bad, and vitamin E breaks down with time, so giving it may be a waste of time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by