Joint problems in elderly hen?

Ruby243

Chirping
11 Years
Jan 27, 2013
Hi,

I have a 13 year old hen who seems quite happy, however she has recently developed something I have never seen before. When she walks, she looks as if she has something stuck to her leg or is tripping over a stick. It’s a funny leg movement/ trip in one leg when she walks. She’s quite a big fluffy hen so her legs are covered, however I have checked and there is definitely nothing there. It does however seem to be getting worse, though she doesn’t seem too bothered by it at the moment. Is this just an age related joint issue? Anything advise?

Hmm. I have an older hen then makes an audible clicking noise with every other step, which I assume is a bad joint, but still walks pretty normally. I also have a younger hen that does the weird high step, stumble forward walk sometimes and there is always something bothering her about the foot. I'd double check for any anomalies with scales, feathers, spurs, etc and even if you don't find anything try giving her a warm foot soak in case she a a splinter or something you can't see.

Hi,

I have a 13 year old hen who seems quite happy, however she has recently developed something I have never seen before. When she walks, she looks as if she has something stuck to her leg or is tripping over a stick. It’s a funny leg movement/ trip in one leg when she walks. She’s quite a big fluffy hen so her legs are covered, however I have checked and there is definitely nothing there. It does however seem to be getting worse, though she doesn’t seem too bothered by it at the moment. Is this just an age related joint issue? Anything advise?
Can you get a video of her moving about?
For video, upload to youtube and provide a link.

Photos of her and her legs/feet as she stands (front and back) may be helpful.
At 13 she may have some Arthritis or Gout. Could just be old age.

Back
Top Bottom