1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

jools again!!!! please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jools22, Nov 7, 2011.

1. jools22

jools22 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2009
    I am now not sure what is wrong with my girl. She now cannot walk. have given antibiotics, sulpher and next is worming in a couple of days. Asked so called experts and now more confused than ever. She is still eating but have to syringe water in her. Tried all the remedies for eggbound and no egg. I really need some help here.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Give us the following information. The more you tell us, the better we will be able to help you.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

3. jools22

Jan 10, 2009
    She is a white leghorn approx 3yrs dont know weight but is skinny but she is eating lots and still drinking. She cannot walk and sits up sometimes like a peguin. Thats why i thought she was eggbound. There are no wounds or bleeding anywhere but she is swollen in the belly area and looks as if she is trying to push something out of her vent all the time. Her bedding at the moment is pea straw at night when i put her to bed in the shed. None of the other birds are displaying any symptoms

4. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

She really sounds egg bound! I sure hope she gets better soon [​IMG]

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you bring her inside and give her a warm bath? Sometimes that helps them to pass an egg that is stuck. If that doesn't help you can put some lubricant like KY or vaseline on a rubber-gloved finger and insert it into the vent to search for an egg or broken shell. Look up "eggbound" upper right under google search.

6. jools22

Jan 10, 2009
    I have done all that the warm bath, the vaseline . dont know what else to do

7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Is she egg bound or does she have EYP? You should be able to feel something if she has egg binding.

Unfortunately, if she has EYP a trip to the vet will be in order.

8. jools22

Jan 10, 2009
    I couldnt feel anything but i really dont know what im looking for. Got her out of her bed this morning and she ate like a pig. Gave her water with some calcium in it. Apart that she cant walk she seems quite content to sit all day and be waited on!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by