1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. AllTheseCreatures

AllTheseCreatures Chillin' With My Peeps

I have been trying to upload images to share on the forum. I'm having some difficulty. All the images I have are .JPG. That's the only format my camera uses. When I try to upload them I get an error that tells me that I've used the wrong file type. It must be .JPEG, .PNG or .GIF. The odd thing is, about less than half of the time it lets me upload it anyway. I select the option to resize the image (since they can be larger than what is acceptable). I've tried to upload the same image several times this morning and it's just not working.

I though that .JPG and .JPEG were essential the same file type. I don't understand why I'm having this problem and any help would be appreciated.

2. Leia's Chickens

Leia's Chickens A Sunkissed Delight

Jun 20, 2010
    Oklahoma!
    They are the same...JPEG / JPG. At least, that is what I read.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  3. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

JPEG is the name of the compression / filetype, but the file extension should be xxxyyy.jpg

We've had reports of peeps having problems uploading pics taken with phones (Nokia I think). If you still get stuck, try uploading the image to a place like http://www.shrinkpictures.com and convert the image just a little, download it, and then try to upload it again.

4. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    I just uploaded a JPG/JPEG file w/o a problem.

See if somehow, your software has renamed the extension of your files.

ETA.. Mine says that it is "JPG - JPEG image".

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  5. AllTheseCreatures

AllTheseCreatures Chillin' With My Peeps

The camera is a Canon DSLR. Okay, so I just realized the image is over 6MB. I cut it down to half that and it uploaded just fine and was automatically resized. I guess the error I got was just confusing. I'll keep that in mind when taking pictures I intend to post.

Thanks for the help.

6. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

While a 6mb image will take a lot longer to upload, our system should still have no problem processing it. I'll look into it!

7. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    My DSLR doesn't let me directly upload it to the site, I first have to copy it to the desktop because it is an occulet stream or something. Try moving then uploading maybe?

8. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    When using my phone camera I have to download to My Pictures and then upload to BYC.

9. Lady Marmalades

Lady Marmalades Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2010
    Brisbane
    Hi ...not sure if I am in the right spot...

I notice some users have quite large pics in thier post...how do they achieve this? I am uber new to forum life and BYC...but I am keen to get involved....

I have tried to post some pics...but they are tiny...[​IMG]

I know from my own browsing habits...larger pics are always more interesting than tiny ones...

Please help ...Cheers Samara

10. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Quote:You're probably using the thumbnail code. Try using the code in the second code box, it should display bigger pictures. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by