1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Jubal - Splash Orpington Cockeral - Update

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MissPrissy, Apr 30, 2008.

1. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Nine weeks ago I hatched a clutch of eggs from Tuffoldhen's blue/black/splash orpington stock.

I have 2 light brahma/blue orp crosses, 1 buff/blue cross, 3 blacks, 4 blues and 2 splashes.

I think I beat the odds! I have 2 black cockerals and 1 black pullet, 1 blue cockeral and 3 blue pullets, 1 splash cockeral and 1 splash pullet. Woot! All from 1 hatch. [​IMG]

I plan to keep the black and splash cockerals and will probably offer the blue at some point in the future. I would like to see how he starts filling out first.

I took some photos of the splash cockeral this evening. He wasn't in the mood to pose but I got enough photos to get a good look at his body.

His name is Jubal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In this photo you can see the splash pullet in the background and one of the black cockerals.

[​IMG]

I am eager to watch him grow out.

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    He is going to be a good looking fellow....I have two splash that are a week and a half old, one from my birds and one from Julies...so hoping one of them will be a roo.....lol

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Handsome guy, Angie.

4. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    He is one good looking roo!!

5. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    He's a beauty! Congratulations! [​IMG]

6. 12 Acres

12 Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Oak Harbor, OH
    Good looking birds! I really like the blue color. When I first saw it I wasn't crazy about it, but now it's growing on me!

You also gave me a good idea of how to leg band growing birds! Thanks! [​IMG]

7. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    He is adorable [​IMG]

8. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    TOH, he isn't as big as Mosby was when I got him from you but in the next three weeks I think he will be nearer to that size. At 12 weeks he may surprise me but I think he will be just a tad smaller than Mosby.

He has a nice personality. He is one of the very first to come investigate me when I go into their nursery coop.

The buff/blue cross I think has set himself up at the flock roo for this hatch and is very pushy, somewhat aggressive, but Jubal ignores it and walks past with a little push. Very funny to watch.

I wish I could keep them all but I have to start finding a home for some of them within the next month.

9. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I took this photo this week. It is a much better shot of his feathering.

[​IMG]

The black opr cockeral behind him isn't look too shabby himself. he just won't stand still and let me get a good photo. Little brat! LOL

10. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Very handsome [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by