Jubilee Orpington - Speckled Sussex -Heavy Graphics

page38a.jpg

Thanks for sharing the information. I have a hen that is blue with light eyes guess I will not be using her in the breeding program <sigh>. I think the spangled looks to be Mottled. Beautiful birds, just wish they were still around.

Mottled and spangled are two different things...thats my guess!

Mottled Cochin/Mottled Houdan are two good examples while the spangled reminds me of Silver Spangled Hamburgs patterns.....all due to the color differences of the placement of black and white.

Usually mottles got white on tips and spangled are black on tips. That is how I can tell the difference.

I've been wrong before LOL!

The reason I wonder if the spangled and mottled might be the same with the mottled a poorer quality of spangled is that even in the 1995 revised and updated edition there is no mention whatsoever of a mottled colored orpington.

Anyone?

Wow, lots of good information! Thank you for posting this, Priss. Excellent!
Christina, the eyes being too light on your pullet may be a slight problem, but as you recall, Suede's eyes are exactly like his sire's and are a light brown. Velvet and Skye, however, have almost black eyes. From what that book said, the pullets may carry lots of weight in the breeding, so what I think is that my girls' eyecolor will offset Suede's. Let me know how your Suede pullet's eyes are-is that the one you mean or another one? What do you think, Priss? Ewesheep?

Spangled, mottled, speckled....hard to see the difference unless you look at a live specimen!

Back
Top Bottom