Jubilee x Buff Orpington what will I get?

Pufna

Chirping
Aug 25, 2020
I'm considering creating a new breed so to say.
I love my Jubilee orpingtons so much, Buffs too. And I was interested if by crossing them I could get something like Jubilee but for the base color to be closer to buff.

Hope someone can help me and inform me if I should even try it, what are the chances to get the result that I want and so on.
Thanks in advance.

You might try this chicken color calculator…it worked for the colors I was mixing.
https://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html
Well I tried it but it just gives the result of buff unicolor offspring, which I'm sceptic of. It can't be 100% the same result from two different breeds I assume.
And I also noticed that it's not always right.
But it's pretty good for what it is.
Thanks for the reply tho.

I crossed a silver spangled Spitzhauben with a silver laced Sebright. The calculator said the offspring would all be the same pattern and they are, identical to the point of needing leg bands to tell them apart. For some crosses it will end up in various percentages.

Well I tried it but it just gives the result of buff unicolor offspring, which I'm sceptic of. It can't be 100% the same result from two different breeds I assume.
And I also noticed that it's not always right.
But it's pretty good for what it is.
Thanks for the reply tho.
I believe the buff offspring would be right for the first generation. The mottling gene, which gives the white dots on the Jubilee Orpingtons, is recessive so it wouldn't show in the first generation. I believe if you cross the offspring back to the jubilee, then you would be able to get at least some chicks that are both buff and mottled.

I believe the buff offspring would be right for the first generation. The mottling gene, which gives the white dots on the Jubilee Orpingtons, is recessive so it wouldn't show in the first generation. I believe if you cross the offspring back to the jubilee, then you would be able to get at least some chicks that are both buff and mottled.
This is what I was thinking, but wasn't sure. Thank you for confirming my thoughts.
I'm just not really good at genes and wanted to know if it could be successful.

Back
Top Bottom