Judge my serama cockeral please

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by Sseckel, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Sseckel

Sseckel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2013
    Homestead, IA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I just purchased him from a breeder who was willing to let him go because of size (19.1 oz). He was the only C out of his hatch, the rest looked to be A and B. I do hope to breed him to my serama hen (16oz) and OEB (14 oz).

I have never shown before though and since my eye for judging traits is still developing o would really love to hear your opinions.

I should not though that he has had no training at all so his pose is natural and could be improved a bit with some work I am sure.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

There's no photo attached that I can see. That's an issue, of course. [​IMG]

Secondly, the number of folks intensively breeding and exhibiting at a high level is a bit rare here. You might have more success finding at a Serama specific site where devotees and hard core breeders hang out in substantial numbers. The Serama is not one of my breeds, I don't know it's Standard and couldn't be of any help to you. Sorry

3. Sseckel

Sseckel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2013
    Homestead, IA
    I was having some trouble getting my photos to upload form my phone, lol. I have it figured out now. I will definately post to some Serama specific sites but I am also interested in fellow recreational breeders opinions. My goal is of course to go to the standard but I have a few years to get there as my daughter is a little young for 4-H yet, though we may do clover kids this year, I am not sure that they can compete with livestock.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Here on BYC we have this Standard of the APA-ABA section specifically for Standard bread fowl. This is that SOP section.

There is a hobbyist type section too, call General Breed discussions or something similar. I'm pretty sure there are a couple of Serama threads on BYC as well. Best wishes to you on your future endeavors.

5. smoothmule

smoothmule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    Pet quality only

6. allosaurusrock

allosaurusrock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2015
    Near Seattle, WA
    Agreed, but you could work up from your point. Tail angle is nice, but chest and wing angle could use work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by