Judge my Welsummer

L&Schickens

Songster
11 Years
Jun 9, 2008
Washington State
This is a 6 month old cockerel. How does he look for going to a show next month?
Wellington
l_d9351a1564b3419a8f09cae71efa420c.jpg

l_6abf9db7b9364b1aa4c7d37956003909.jpg

l_42a57c867f074687b13c0de4ec49105a.jpg

How old is he? I feel like he hasn't grown into all his "manly" feathers yet, like his saddle feathers, so his color doesn't look quite right yet to me... But he looks pretty nice. I'd go ahead and show him.
smile.png

Head and neck, rich golden brown. Hackles rich golden brown as uniform as possible, free from black striping. Back, shoulder coverts and wing bow bright red-brown. Wing coverts black with green sheen forming a broad bar; primaries (out of sight when wing is closed), inner web black, outer web brown; secondaries, outer web brown, inner web black with brown peppering. Tail (main) black with a beetle green sheen; coverts, upper black, lower black edged with brown. Breast black with red mottling. Abdominal and thigh fluff black and red mottled.

Yeah, his chest is all black. His tail shows the fluffy "Downey" part of the feather. It is not really white. But I see what you mean. He is so pretty though!!!

Last edited:
He got beautiful color and needs to have brown in his chest.

I'll wait a bit before showing him so he can display his BEST color he possibly can!

Well, there is a show in December and I can enter him as a cockerell I think.

I think they should change the standard to how MY beautiful roo looks!!
ya.gif

Do you think he could be a clean legged Marans and not a Welly?
Just wondering.
He is not from a hatchery, but from a private breeder I never met in CA. My MIL got him and some others from that man. I got Wellington and two hens from her. All 5 hens I have are Welsummers for sure. Three of them are from Ideal that I ordered back in June.
Any thoughts?
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom