Judge my White Silkie rooster

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SilkieTime, Sep 29, 2010.

1. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    This is Doc Holiday and I need to know if there is something I am missing that needs improving on. He is one year old next week. He has never had a bath and the yellow in his hackles just need washing out. That was blood from a fight with a rooster that was removed one right after. He has not been in the sun very much and does not get corn. Should I wash him? I don't have pictures of his feet but they are very good. Wings are good too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    Very typey.....nice, full crest, nice short back, full cushion, view of feet look great

Overall, I'd say [​IMG]

3. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    oh yeah---wings look nice and tight

As a general rule, I always bathe every new bird; gives me a better opportunity to check their skin condition, check for parasites, check for general weight and bone structure. Also, while I've got them, I go ahead and trim their nails. Also gives me a better idea on how they'll do being handled, and how much work I'll have to do to get them accustomed to it.

4. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    He looks perfect!

5. Brody's Broodello

Brody's Broodello Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Maryland
    Is he a natural breeder? If so looks like a really and should do well for you.

6. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    WOW! nice looking roo. Send him my way!!![​IMG]

7. SilkieTime

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    I have had him from a chick shipped from Bobbi. I do clip his nails but not his beak as of yet. He has been the sweetest thing from day one. If I only could keep one chicken of all the ones I have this would be the one. The one behind him does not have the same type, can you see his chest? Is Doc's better? I do need another pen so he will be the only rooster to make sure he is a breeding well. The other one 's wings are low and is a little mean to me but never Doc.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  8. SpeckledPullet

SpeckledPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    Northeast Florida
    Very nice. I'll take him, too! [​IMG]

I think he is nicer than the roo in the background. JMHO

9. SilkieTime

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    Thank you I think so to. So the chest sticking out like that is a good thing?
    This is when he was a lot younger. He wasn't as round as the others but the sweetest.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  10. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    I don't know about everyone else, but come show time I talk my daughter into showing the blues because the whites are so hard to keep clean. [​IMG] That is a nice rooster by the way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by