Julia Child's Recipe for Hard-Boiled Eggs

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Renee, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    This is Julia Child's recipe for hard-boiling eggs that are easy to peel and do not have a gray area around the yolk. It's a bit complicated the first time you do it, but it becomes second nature.

Place six eggs in a pot and fill with cold water. (If you boil more eggs, the recipe changes, but I don't have it!)Make sure there is at least one inch of water over the eggs.
    Bring the water to a full boil, remove from heat, cover, and leave to set for exactly 17 minutes.
    Meanwhile, fill a bowl with ice cubes and cold water. When the timer goes off at 17 minutes, transfer the eggs to the ice water with a slotted spoon and bring the hot water back to a full boil.
    After chilling the eggs for two minutes, return them to the boiling water for ten seconds, then back to the ice water with the slotted spoon. This process shrinks the egg from the shell while preventing the gray that results from overcooking.

For fresh eggs, crack the eggs and return to the ice water for ten to fifteen minutes to allow the water to seep in under the shell. Peel the eggs and make something fabulous!

I did a search and could not find this posted, but if it is, I apologize for the repetition.

2. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    She was the greatest. I miss watching her on t.v.

Thanks for sharing.

3. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    She was great! An expert on all food!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by