Julie

julie tabone

Hatching
Dec 7, 2019
Hi i have 4 chickens they are 13months old now two have been broody so i went and purchased some week old chicks 2 white 3red and 1 black so 6 in total gave each hen 3 each now one of my hens a red one goes after the little black chick why would she be doing that so i have separated them and are keeping an eye on them am i doing the right thing or should i just mix the whole lot together plus my other 2 hens ?

BullChick

Enslaved by a Duckling
Premium member
Apr 17, 2012
Coffee shop
Welcome! I actually had a hen do that to one of her own chicks. It too was black, and the rest were yellow, white, brown and striped. I think it was just obvious to her that it was different. Try sneaking it under the other broody at night. As for combining everyone, it’s up to you. How does your flock act? I prefer all together the whole time, but I know my flock is not into killing babies.
Feel free to share photos of your animals and set up. We also would love to get to know you as a human.

Pork Pie

Flockwit
Premium member
Jan 30, 2015

DobieLover

Easily distracted by chickens
Premium member
Jul 23, 2018
Apalachin, NY
My Coop
My Coop
Hello, Julie, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
It is unfortunate that when one of the chicks looks markedly different from the others, the mothers sometimes don't accept them. Additionally, sometimes grafting chicks to new mothers doesn't always work out well.

Last edited:

TwoCrows

Inuit Raven
Staff member
Premium member
Mar 21, 2011
New Mexico, USA
My Coop
My Coop
Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

As mentioned above, not all broodies except chicks even if they are broody and not all broodies make good mommas either. If none of the others will except these chicks, you may need to set up your brooder and raise them yourself. Good luck and welcome to our roost! :)

Duckfarmer1

Crowing
Jul 23, 2019
Kane,Pa
Hello Julie and welcome to BYC! How exciting that two of your chickens are broody! I would love for just one to do that! I think it’s a great idea to perhaps try the chick under the other mom, due to its color. And we all love pictures so please feel free to post some soon. As mentioned above, it would be helpful to see you whole setup to perhaps give more clear advice. You will meet so many great people on here and learn so much about chickens! Everyone is so nice and so glad to help! We can’t wait to learn more about you and your flock! So from all of us, welcome to BYC!

Top Bottom