July 14th - NEWBIE Set 11 eggs at 2PM CST. Anyone wanna join me?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ContessaKris, Jul 14, 2011.

1. ContessaKris

ContessaKris Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Grandview (SKC), MO
    This is our first time and the eggs just came in the mail less than an hour ago. I was going to wait a day to get them to room temp but my thermometer told me they were already around or above that, being in the mailman's hot truck so I went ahead and put them in the incubator.

I have 3 RIR eggs, 1 BO, 2 BR, 2 BLRW and 3 EE (Had a dozen, One EE broke badly in transit.) 2 of the eggs had minor cracks so I added wax to them. Boy! A learning experience from the very beginning!

[​IMG]

Who wants to incubate with me?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  2. ContessaKris

Jun 28, 2011
    Grandview (SKC), MO
    I don't understand. I had the homemade incubator set up and working perfectly, temp perfect. Then the eggs go in and within 2 hours, the temp is up 4 degrees. I know they let off or generate their own heat but I thought that wasn't for days.

I adjusted it down a bit because I can't have them cooking at 104 degrees the first day. that's one big omelet! [​IMG]

3. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    Usually when I first put mine in I do it when I can check every 20 or 30 minutes just in case. Mine jumped up to 101 about 30 minutes after setting today. It seems to jump up or down a bit for some reason every time I set. Once they are in and I get the thermostat dialed in my bator holds temps perfectly. It may have something to do with thermal mass? I have no idea [​IMG]

I usually let mine rest for 12 - 24 hours after receiving shipped eggs because of the jostling but frankly I don't know if it makes a difference. Also - a good tip that I think DOES make a difference with shipped eggs... If you have any loose air cells (or if you're not sure/didn't candle) put them in the bator but don't turn them at all for three days. This will often times allow the air cells to reattach and improve your hatch rate.

Anyway - good luck! I'll follow along as we'll be due on the same day [​IMG] I'm hatching 18 Silkies in my homemade fridgibator.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  4. ContessaKris

Jun 28, 2011
    Grandview (SKC), MO
    Did anyone else set on Thursday?

I've been reading up on turning. Some people say it should be a set schedule others say it doesn't matter? I tend to not stick to schedules so I'll turn them when I'm thinking about it. I did tape a piece of paper to the lid so I can write down temps and turning times. So, semi-scheduleish.[​IMG]

5. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    why don't you get an egg turner. Then it is "no-brainer" egg turning. lol

6. GoodLuckCharlie!

GoodLuckCharlie! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    I also set eggs today that I got in the mail...3 Pheonix, 2 Yokohamas, and for the heck of it a dozen Trader Joe eggs from down the street. The temp in my homemade incubator was spot on for a day and now after adding the eggs its way too high so I'm staying up late to see if I can adjust it better. This is my 2nd hatch, I'm hoping to relax just a little more through this one [​IMG]. Its exciting though!

7. ContessaKris

Jun 28, 2011
    Grandview (SKC), MO
    Quote:Well, most automatic egg turners cost lots of money and I'm trying to not spend a lot of money (saving it for feed and coop costs. [​IMG]) And the homemade hand turner is just the same thing as I'm doing anyway. So far I turned after 7 hours (was letting them rest a bit), then 5 hours, then about 7 hours. Just because those are the times I was able to do it. I'm hoping it is okay.

GoodLuckCharlie! :

I also set eggs today that I got in the mail...3 Pheonix, 2 Yokohamas, and for the heck of it a dozen Trader Joe eggs from down the street. The temp in my homemade incubator was spot on for a day and now after adding the eggs its way too high so I'm staying up late to see if I can adjust it better. This is my 2nd hatch, I'm hoping to relax just a little more through this one smile. Its exciting though!

Wow, I've never heard of those types of chickens. I'll have to look them up! I was telling hubby yesterday all about the TJ's thread and how people were hatching eggs from fertile eggs from the store. First of all, he doesn't believe it can be done and second he was kind of grossed out at the thought of eating fertile eggs! [​IMG] I was surprised at that. About temperature. I put my eggs in yesterday and within an hour or so the temp had shot up 4 degrees. I think its because the eggs give off or produce heat or something. I've read things that say 'put the eggs in the incubator and walk away for a day.' I don't see how you can do that when I'm thinking the first day of getting that temp just right is very crucial. Don't want to cook them all the first day! [​IMG]

8. TnChickHen

TnChickHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    TN
    I set 6 Black Tailed Japanese bantam eggs last saturday, and 2 days later, GROWTH!!!! woohoo!! [​IMG] We've had our incubator on since, hmm... May?? Lol. We haven't turned the thing off, might be why the electric bill is so high... hehe! We are trying to find new homes for 10 of our other babies, but until then, we are having fun!!!!! Good luck with this batch, being it your first! it sure is fine! and I cried during our first hatch! hahaha!! [​IMG] happy hatching!

9. ContessaKris

Jun 28, 2011
    Grandview (SKC), MO
    I see a lot of people are setting the bantams. Why do people like them so much? I don't know anything about them. Just curious.

So, remember my perfectly set little temperatures? They're going wild today. One is swinging up near 103/104, the other is at about 96. And they're 6" a part. One is above the fan but in the past the variance was only about 1 degree. Worried, I switched the positions of the thermometers, thinking maybe the one wasn't working well anymore. Nope, the new one did it too. Now I don't know what to do. Can't turn it down or the one side of eggs won't hatch, but can't keep it up by that level. I'm stumped.

10. Islandmom511

Islandmom511 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Quote:I too am a newbie but I set 3 pekin eggs on July 7th, and they incubate 28 days so we are actually due around the SAme time (August 3rd I think). Good luck and hopefully we both get at least 1 fuzzy butt for our first batch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by