Jumbo Broilers - Avg. Weight 0.2425 at 7 days and other questions.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by rainplace, Apr 2, 2011.

1. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

I bought 100 jumbo broilers from Central Hatchery. They arrived Thursday, March 24th having been born the 22nd. We had one DOA. So far all are doing fine. I am concerned a bit about their one week weights. Since they were born on the 22nd I weighed a sample of 20 on the 29th with an average weight of 0.2425 oz. Using the grow out chart from Welp, I was hopiing to see around 0.38 or so.

I'm feeding them a certified organic broiler grain mix, and I'm afraid it may be too little in protein at 19%. I had planned to feed the same feed from start to finish but now am reconsidering. If the weights are under, and I need to add more protein, is there a way I can add something to the feed I already have instead of buying more feed? I've already bought a ton. Anything I add would have to be certified organic.

Watching their behavior, I'm assuming I have the temps right. They do some piling but are mostly spread out under the lamps. They have had feed, water, and grit available 24/7.

I am noticing some bald butts, is that normal this young?

I'm new to these birds and not quite sure what I'm doing. These are a test batch for us on our farm, and we're hoping it to be successful. Any help would be much appreciated.

The plan is to put them into a 10'x12' bottomless tractor at 4 weeks of age and run them along side the layers, a pair of geese and our GP's behind the cattle. The tractor will be moved daily. I don't really want to run them with the hens because I'm afraid the hens will take most of the pasture food away, but we only have one pair of GP's and are surrounded by predators. Will this be a problem?

It also rains here. A lot. They will be on high but wet ground. How can this affect them and what can I do to minimize any potential problems associated with the wetness?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as they grow, but that's about it for now.

Thanks

2. Matrix Escapee

Matrix Escapee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    We are doing the same (starting out with 100 as a test and putting them in movable 10x12 pens at hopefully 3 weeks.)
    My starter feed is also organic and all grain, but 20% protein. I would guess your weights are lower due to your 19% feed, but I am not an expert.
    I like our feed so far, but it bothers me that none of the protein is coming from something other than plants. Plus I would like to see closer to 22% protein.
    I am considering finding a way to introduce fish meal from Fertrell. Worms, bugs, and fish are the non-plant proteins that I find acceptable. A lot of conventional feeds can have protiens from pigs, chickens, or cows, and there's no shot we're using that. I just need to figure out how much of whatever to add to increase the protein bu a couple percent. I am afraid to offer it free choice, b/c what if they love it and only eat that and not the complete feed?

Good luck to you.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  3. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Quote:Yes, it bothers me also that all the protein is plant based. We did have an option of buying a no soy product, which I really wanted to do, but with feed costs already being so high, I couldn't accept the extra 4 cents a pound it cost.

Good luck to you also [​IMG]

4. Matrix Escapee

Matrix Escapee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    The product from Fertrell is called SeaLac. It is 60% protein. Waiting on a price for 50 lb. bag and how to go about using it to supplement my current feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by