jumbo brown Coturnix quail, my first Quail!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by kevyrevy, Jan 6, 2015.

1. kevyrevy

kevyrevy New Egg

Nov 1, 2014
    [​IMG]
    Three days old
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Five days old here. They grow amazingly fast. As you can see they are starting to get their wing feathers! They eat almost constantly and its funny to see how they can just fall asleep in an instant.

2. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Your chicks are piling a little bit. Probably from cold since you pulled the lid off to take a picture but try to avoid that happening. Piled chicks will suffocate each other. When the brooder is the right temp the chicks will be evenly spread out over the whole floor.

3. kevyrevy

kevyrevy New Egg

Nov 1, 2014
    You are exactly right my friend. I didn't hatch these, picked them up from a local guy. I quickly found out the right placement for my brooder bulb, they did spread out and went right to eating and sleeping. Twenty eight chicks total. Very excited with them and looking forward to watching them grow.

4. kevyrevy

kevyrevy New Egg

Nov 1, 2014
    When I purchased my quail chicks from a local breeder, he said the whole batch was jumbo brown coturnix. Some of them were yellow. I got a few of those and as the feathers came in they look like gold or Manchurian quail. If I separate those and breed them will I get more gold? They are so beautiful but he said they all came from brown

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by