1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Jumbo brown hen finnally layed- Pictures below

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by monarc23, Apr 2, 2009.

1. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    The reason I say that is because I wasnt sure of the sex of this bird, havent been for months. If I get time tomorrow and it's not raining I'll take a picture of her. She's HUGE....and is almost completley rust breasted yet it's a hen. Oh the ones that baffle you at times [​IMG] Thankfully I felt the egg in her tummy before she layed it so I knew for sure. Ive been checking my birds every other day to see if anyones going to be laying for the day and yay she finnally did, her pullet egg is hUGE LOL!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  2. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    Yay!

3. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Congrats!! [​IMG] So you can feel the eggs before they lay?

4. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:Yeppers right behind the thighs towards the vent if the hens going to lay that day you'll feel the egg right there, it's no mistaking it for anything else feels like if you put an egg in your cheek in your mouth and felt it on teh outside wiht your finger tips. [​IMG] the hen doesnt appreciate being held but other than that no violation just a "tummy" feeling. you dont even need to press hard or anything just a simple pick her up and touch her belly area [​IMG]

5. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Heres "Big Brown" Look how much her breast looks like a roo!

[​IMG]

Ignore her beak tip, I removed the tip if it a while back when I saw her fighting with another hen (no blood just like triming nails if you dont trim back too far) it's growing back. Yes *gasp* im cruel lol, but she's a keeper hen and i didn't want her hurting others. It stopped her from pecking at them and now she's a sweetie to her new cagemates.

This is a pic of her (left) and my roo Cricket (right)
    [​IMG]

This is her (left) next to another hen (right)

[​IMG]

See why I was confused for so long? LOL

6. Bacchus

Bacchus Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2009
    Wow, pretty birds you got there! She is big!

I still don't know what sex my Texas A&M are, and they're approaching 3 weeks. I hate sexing quails... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by