Jumbo Brown Quail

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasChris

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 2, 2011
My quail are now 5 weeks old they are supposed to be jumbos does anyone have any idea about what they should weigh?
Thanks
Chris

My jumbo browns from Buttercup, weighed about 10 oz at 5 weeks. At 6 weeks I had some pushing 12. Bill

Lady, I got one of the quail from your bloodlines and he is a MOOSE! I think he is 9 weeks or so? I need to pop him on the scale. We named him Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. Got him from Chandra
big_smile.png

My quail are in a 4x8 cage for 30 now down to only 20 in that cage and the big hens are 10.6 oz and the biggest roo is 8.4 oz but i have the smallest hen only weighing 7.2 oz and the smallest roo only weighing 6.3 oz does this sound normal for 30 quail at 5 weeks or is this not so good a bloodline that i have? and one more ques im in south Texas and its already been in the mid 90s for a couple of weeks here does the warmer weather hurt the size of birds grown this time of year?
Thanks for all the replies.
Chris

Quote:
That sounds pretty good in the Jumbo to me. Just keep the largest 3 males and you are set. Just keep track of weight up to 7 weeks and then they pretty much are done growing.

I have 13 females and 17 males so i kept the seven biggest males in the cage. I only need 3 males?
Thanks for all the advice it will be used.
Chris

Quote:
Sorry Alex...this is totally untrue! 14 ounce coturnix are few and far between. I can gin-up their weight by light denial, feed them stuff that's bad for them, and generally create a big fat unhealthy bird, for the sake of creating a big fat bird. Under normal production methods, even the most highly developed "JUMBO" strains of coturnix will never reach 14 oz. at 7 weeks of age. Anyone that tells you they do, doesn't own a $5 set of scales, and a 2 cent paper lunch bag to weigh them in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom