1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Jumbo Brown Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by TexasChris, May 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TexasChris

TexasChris Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2011
    My quail are now 5 weeks old they are supposed to be jumbos does anyone have any idea about what they should weigh?
    Thanks
    Chris

2. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    My jumbo browns from Buttercup, weighed about 10 oz at 5 weeks. At 6 weeks I had some pushing 12. Bill

3. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    By how you feed them and cage size, by 7 weeks you should have a range between 12-14 ounces if not more.

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Lady, I got one of the quail from your bloodlines and he is a MOOSE! I think he is 9 weeks or so? I need to pop him on the scale. We named him Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. Got him from Chandra [​IMG]

5. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    HAHAHA sounds about right!

6. TexasChris

May 2, 2011
    My quail are in a 4x8 cage for 30 now down to only 20 in that cage and the big hens are 10.6 oz and the biggest roo is 8.4 oz but i have the smallest hen only weighing 7.2 oz and the smallest roo only weighing 6.3 oz does this sound normal for 30 quail at 5 weeks or is this not so good a bloodline that i have? and one more ques im in south Texas and its already been in the mid 90s for a couple of weeks here does the warmer weather hurt the size of birds grown this time of year?
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Chris

7. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:That sounds pretty good in the Jumbo to me. Just keep the largest 3 males and you are set. Just keep track of weight up to 7 weeks and then they pretty much are done growing.

8. TexasChris

May 2, 2011
    I have 13 females and 17 males so i kept the seven biggest males in the cage. I only need 3 males?
    Thanks for all the advice it will be used.
    Chris

9. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I keep 2 males per 8-9 hens or one male per 4-5 hens but you can do what you desire [​IMG] this is just how I do it.

10. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Quote:Sorry Alex...this is totally untrue! 14 ounce coturnix are few and far between. I can gin-up their weight by light denial, feed them stuff that's bad for them, and generally create a big fat unhealthy bird, for the sake of creating a big fat bird. Under normal production methods, even the most highly developed "JUMBO" strains of coturnix will never reach 14 oz. at 7 weeks of age. Anyone that tells you they do, doesn't own a $5 set of scales, and a 2 cent paper lunch bag to weigh them in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by