Jumbo browns big?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by mochicken, Dec 17, 2011.

1. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I am talking to a lady I met through craigslist about her jumbo brown and A&M that she has for sale, I was looking for some birds locally in either Jumbo brown or A&M to get bigger stock for people wanting to buy birds for food.

Are your jumbo browns or A&M that much bigger than your normal sized Coturnix?

She said hers are the same size as her Tibetans which concerns me and makes me think that she got her birds from the same person that told me that my whites were A&M

2. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Hi Mochicken....
    A Jumbo brown varies in size , there is no set standard.
    But research I've done here and on the web suggests they are at least double the regular Coturnix.
    A Coturnix averages 3-5 1/2 oz. And a jumbo is 10 oz. and larger. Average being around 12, is the info I"ve gathered.

I do not have Regular Coturnix , Just the Jumbos, and a few of mine I weighed last week are around 10.2 oz.
    My A & M's are just getting feathers , so too little to weigh, but they came from Quaillady, so I"m confident they will be a great size!

Quaillady said 10 oz is a good size for a Jumbo, and these are the "Mutts" I got from Craigslist, so I don't know what all is in their background as far as breeding.

The texas A & M tends to be a little smaller.

Telling you they are the same size as her Tibetans isn't much for you to go on unless you've seen them. Have you?

If your whites were a disappointment, then I'd be a little Leary of dealing with her.

Any Coturnix can be bred to be Jumbo, but it takes time and lots of selective breeding. It's possible her Tibetans are jumbo, but slim.

I would say, is all you can do is to look good at the birds and decide for yourself.

It would be nice if someone here had pics of both sized birds side by side to judge.

ETA: Ask her where her breeding stock came from. See if that gives you anything to go on.

I found a member here at BYC that is in Tucson, and breeds buttons.. So I"m thinking someone to trade with, and I find out her eggs/stock came from Quaillady! [​IMG] so much for getting new bloodlines! ROFL!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  3. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    No I have not seen them yet, she is an hour and 20 minutes from me, she is only selling her birds for $1 and they are three weeks old so its worth the trip is she has jumbos but if they are just standard size its not worth my time since I have 11 adult, 7 that are 8 days old, 10 newly hatched and 40 more eggs in the bator lol

4. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Sounds like you have plenty to keep you busy. LOL!

If it were me, I'd pass. Driving that far for unknown stock? Lotta gas.
    I would just order eggs from someone here that is reputable, or wait and see if anything closer comes up on Craigslist.

You sound like me...
    8 adults... and 7 that are just about there (7 wees) 5 in the brooder (2weeks) 7 more that are 4 weeks... and setting about 40 eggs today. [​IMG]

5. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    She sent me pics of her adult birds, they look pretty big, still not sure if I want to make the drive, I have driven farther for birds but when you figure I would use $15-$20 in gas to buy 10 birds which is what I wanted to buy for $1 each then I have $30 for 10 birds which would make the price $3.00 each when I could buy eggs and have them shipped for less than $1 each and even if I get 50% hatch I would still spend half as much lol.

I did find 3 cages 18 miles from me for $15 today but I cant get the lady to reply, they are roughly 30"x30"x 24" so they would be great grow outs for a few quail

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by