1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Jumbo Browns or Texas A&M Breeders?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by mochicken, Dec 2, 2011.

1. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    My next goal is to get some jumbo browns or some TRUE Texas A&M large large large birds lol, I bought the Coturnix I got now and were told the whites were A&M and later found out they were not so I am looking to get some good sized eggs to hatch.

Where would you all recommend getting some eggs to start? It will be a month or two before I even have incubator space but I am definitely interested in getting some good eggs to get a group of bigger birds just for food purposes ( and of course to get eggs to continue the line on )

Also if any of you are breeders and will sell eggs can you post pics of the difference in size between a standard Coturnix and a jumbo or Texas A&M large?

2. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    Try Quaillady the true A&Ms are no more but her bird will be very close I think she has jumbo browns too

3. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Ya know as I was looking at my birds tonight my whites are getting quite a bit bigger since I got them but I don't think they are A&M still, what is the weight of a standard English white?

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    My english whites are 8 oz, small birds. My old Stella is 5 oz (pharaoh) but he is unusually small for a coturnix.

5. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I'll try to weigh mine sometime to see, it seems the longer I keep them the bigger they get but I do not have an a&m or jumbo to compare so quaillady we need to do some dealing when my incubator clears up lol

I am wondering if maybe my whites are A&M and perhaps I feed them and care for them better than the previous owner.

6. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I have fat English whites right now. The more they are fed, the more they get big. I agree with that statement [​IMG] means you are taking good care of your birds [​IMG]

Let me know if you want some eggs. I have to still send to some folks here before they beat me up!

7. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Yeah I gotta stop shoving eggs in my incubator so I can actually have some space lol, I would probably only need a dozen A&M and a dozen Jumbo browns but if I get the incubator setup done I could get as many as 120 eggs in there hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I really need to stop incubating stuff lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by