Jumbo Coturnix Chicks Questions.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by BirdBoy88, Jan 17, 2009.

1. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Hey [​IMG]

I just notice this morning that some of my Jumbo Coturnix chicks have bald spots

so i was picking them up looking at them trying to figure out why so then i sat down and was watching them in the brooder and i now see that the chicks are grabbing other chicks heathers and yanking them off of the other chicks and is eating it.. and they will chase another chick around and keep yanking there feathers off and it's hurting the other chicks because they are yelling

i have never had this happen before with any quail chicks i have had so i don't know why these ones are doing it. they always have food and water.

do you know why?

2. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    From everything that I've read, this is due to overcrowding. I haven't raise coturnix yet though.

3. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    They plenty of room in there brooder?

i put them in there large brooder a couple of days ago. hmmmmmm [​IMG]

it's all confusing...lol

but i will try to put them in something even bigger then [​IMG]

thanks

4. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    I could be wrong. I wish someone else would answer, lol. That's just what I've read, I haven't heard of feather plucking for other reasons, but, like I said, I'm just going by research, not actual experience.

5. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Quote:Oh know i took your info and used it [​IMG]

i separated some of them and put the bigger ones in a different brooder away from the smaller ones [​IMG] it seems to be working out just fine now

thanks [​IMG] your info was well needed

6. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    Coturnix require higher protein feed than chickens. My chickens do that when they need more protein, followed by some egg eating. I would also spray thenm with permrethrins in case of mites.

7. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I have also heard that a white light can help lead toward aggression. You can also try switching to a red light and see if that helps.

-Kim

8. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    that's odd!!! I've never experienced that.

How old are they only a few days old right? Are they ALL doing it or is there only a few aggressors? If theres only a few, maybe you could seclude them and see if it stops the problem? Then feed them all higher protien (kitty food, boiled eggs, fish even in small amounts daily) and see if that helps. [​IMG] Then intigrate the meanies back in and see if that helps. I've never had that problem so Im really no help here! [​IMG]

9. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Quote:they are a week old now and yup it's not all of them it's just a few mainly the bigger ones

and yup i did i took the bigger ones out and put them in another brooder ... 9 have eggs boiling right now and every thing for them all [​IMG]

it's no problem all the info you all have gave me has been working [​IMG]

10. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    good Im glad to hear that! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by