Jumbo Coturnix Eating Own Poop, Normal?

jumbocoturnix

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2016
Hello,

I am currently raising some 3-week-old Jumbo Coturnix Quails I bought off of Craigslist. Lately, I realized some if not most quails are eating their own fecal matters. I feed them Game Bird 28% protein and provide them clean fresh water (added 1/2 - 1 teaspoon vinegar) on a daily basis. I have 40 watts light bulb on nearly everyday and they have plenty of space.

For bedding, I don't have any pine shavings at the moment so I am using some leftover crumble feed until this week or so I will move them out of their brooder box and put them outside because where I live now the weather is starting to warm up.

Am I doing something wrong? Is this normal for Coturnix Quails or any other game birds? What should I do? All suggestions and advice are welcomed.

Thank you

Mine always pecked around at it never really noticed if they were eating it or just investigating either way they lived for over a year until i dispatched them myself so it must not hurt them to much if they do eat it.

For bedding, I don't have any pine shavings at the moment so I am using some leftover crumble feed

So you are using.....food.....as their bedding? Which means their poop is mixed in with their edible "bedding"? I am not trying to be mean, but.....if they are pooping on food, why is it weird to think they would eat it? If you do not want them to eat their poop, please stop using food as their bedding.

Last edited:
I just took them out of their brooder box and put them outside on wire. Sorry guys first time trying this and won't do it anymore.

Back
Top Bottom