jumbo coturnix growth pattern?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by syble, Jul 30, 2011.

1. syble

syble Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    I'm just wondering if the jumbos i'm growing out are on par to become jumbos (i bought the hatching eggs). they are 4 weeks old and on average are 6.35 oz. I did pick out the 4 biggest ranging in weight from 7.05-8.11.

is this about where they should be at 4 weeks? will they double by 8 weeks or are they slowing down now?
    thanks

2. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    I think your birds are doin well. The last Batch I grew out gained almost 2 oz a week between 4 and 7 weeks...I'd say you are on track to have some nice birds. Bill

3. syble

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    fantastic! I was hoping they were on track, but with the heat i didn't know if that had set them back much. Cant wait to have our first quail! What size do they need to reach to be true jumbos? You hear alot about people saying they are jumbo but them not making the grade size wise.
    Thanks

4. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    We're tip toe'n around in a very controversial area here... A type of thread I usually end up be'n spanked in!! But I would consider a coturnix over 8 or 9 oz a jumbo. Im not sure if there is a "official" weight range scale. I have saw a lot of numbers stated but like I say its very controversial and theres no use in kick'n that dog. I will say I would be pleased with the way your birds are progressing.... Good luck and keep us posted on their growth. Bill

5. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    They seem to be growing nice and steady. It takes a lot to get to the big weights but you are getting there! Keep it up!

6. syble

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    thanks guys. I've never understood why the jumbo issue gets hay wire. not gonna end up with a chicken sized quail, I'm good with that lol. I guess I'll just grow em the biggest i can and keep the biggest quad or 2 and process the rest (think there's about 40 in there to work with).

I can see needing to out cross with my "jumbo" golds.... they are gold, but they are about the same weight as my 4 week old ones lol. guess that's where selective breeding comes in and why it's important to pay attention to size.

I want to get all my colors up in size, i have a promising rosetta at 10.5. I just threw some of her eggs in the incubator (though i fear about half are double yolkers). The nice thing about breeding quail is there's always a spot for the ones that don't make the cut, lol freezer camp haha.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by