Jumbo Coturnix Requirements

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Hoppelchen, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Hoppelchen

Hoppelchen Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2010
    Hi,

I am considering to keep jumbo coturnix and I'm new to poultry keeping.

Since the jumbos are larger than the regular birds and I don't seem to
    find much technical information relating to them (but plenty for
    regular size birds), I'd like to ask the following:

Space requirements for every stage: 1-15,16-35,36+ for meat birds and
    layers.

How much height do they like?

What size and weight mesh to use for the floor?

How much feeder space per bird per stage?

How much do the birds eat at every stage?

Do the Jumbo birds finish later than the regular size, and if so, what
    is their general schedule for each purpose?

What is the Jumbo's egg laying ability?

What is the average dressed weight of a jumbo carcass? (IIRC, it's 100
    gms for a regular bird)

Can I mix jumbos and regular birds for incubating? Brooding? And if
    so, when do I have to separate them?

many thanks for your help,

Hoppelchen

2. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:

3. Hoppelchen

Hoppelchen Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2010
    Thank you Whiteconfections!

So in essence, the jumbos have roughly the same space requirements as the regulars I take it, other than the height. If they don't boink, would they enjoy a second tier? For example, all my rabbit cages have shelves which are *very* popular.

"They may mature in 8 weeks, but you should aim to process in 10-12-14 weeks."

What is the reason for this?

Another thing I was wondering about is the males, for example, rabbits can have a buck taste if slaughtered much later than 10 weeks, is there a cockerel taste in birds to watch out for?

Also, how large/heavy are the jumbo eggs? If I buy a 60 quail egg incubator (I'm looking at the King Suro) how many jumbos can I fit into this?

thanks again,

Hoppelchen

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    MATURITY AGE COMES FROM A NUMBER OF DIFFERENT SOURCES--- 1 IN MOST CASES THEY ARE LAYING FERTILE EGGS AT 8 WKS (IN MOST CASES- NOT ALL) 2 SLAUGHTER AGE BY COMMERCIAL INDUSTRY--- THIS IS VERY MISLEADING, AS IT IS OFTEN NOT MATURE AT ALL, BUT RATHER THE FASTEST TIME TO GET TO SLAUGHTER AGE WITH THE MINIMUM AMOUNT OF FEED VS WEIGHT GAIN RATIO--- MEANING AFTER THIS TIME THEY CONSUME MORE FEED, COST MORE IN MONETY AND GROW LESS- SO NOW IS THE IDEAL TIME TO HARVEST FROM A BIG BUSINESS STAND POINT--- WHEN IN FACT MANY TIMES BIRDS WILL GET LARGER IN SIZE AND HEAVIER IN WEIGHT PAST THIS TIME

NO THERE IS NO TASTE DIFFERENCE NO MATTER SEX OR AGE IN COTURNIX

AS FAR AS INCUBATORS I AM NOT FAMILIAR WITH KING SUROS, BUT I HAVE BRINSEA OCT 20'S THAT I USE AND CAN EASILY PLACE WELL OVER 200 EGGS IN THEM AT A TIME (YES THATS THE SAME AS SIMULTANEOUSLY) OR IF YOU ARE FAMILIAR WITH THE COOLER BATOR LG'S OR HOVAS THEY ARE DESIGNED TO HOLD 120 IN AN AUTOTURNER AT 1 TIME- IF THAT HELPS?

AS FOR YOUR SHELVES QUESTION--- I HAVE NO IDEA [​IMG] ? I DONT HAVE ANY PENS WITH SHELVES....

5. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    the few I have processed I did not see them get much larger past 10 weeks it is kina like finishing a hog you are just putting fat on the bird much past 10-12 weeks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by