Jumbo Dewlap Toulouse goslings! (Pic!!)

Discussion in 'Geese' started by ChickFila, May 15, 2010.

1. ChickFila

ChickFila Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    They are my very first gosling in my life, and I am very excited.
    I bought 4 eggs from a BYCer in CA, so they were shipped to me. All 4 of them were growing, but 1 had blood ring at 12th day.
    The rest 3 were growing well, made to lockdown and finally... 2 of them hatched yesterday!
    The third one didn't make it though... There was a big pip, but couldn't zip.
    Anyway, one is buff color and the other is grey.
    Seems like buff is a boy and grey is a girl [​IMG]
    Buff is brave and loves to be held, always head is high up and curious. Grey is following Buff all the time and try to hide under him.
    Well, I will know for sure next year spring [​IMG]
    They are lovely, aren't they?

[​IMG]

2. ChickFila

Mar 7, 2010
    By the way, what a mess they make! I have to change bedding at least twice a day.
    They make all brooder floor (pine shaving covered with kitchen towel) wet within an hour, food is everywhere, splash water all the time.
    Look like they are running/playing on dishes!

3. DulcyDoll

DulcyDoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Beautiful babies you have there!

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    How do you know which is a boy and a girl? I got straight run toulouse- and they are all grey. [​IMG]

5. ChickFila

Mar 7, 2010
    Quote:Ha,ha! It is just pure guess from their behavior and size.
    As you can see Buff is a little larger than grey and always come for something. Grey is shy and follow Buff all the time, try to be his shadow.
    It's just guess, I don't know yet!
    That's why I said I would know next spring for sure - when they lay (or don't lay) the eggs [​IMG]

6. JROOSTER

JROOSTER Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2010
    Louisiana
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Kim65

Kim65 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    Those are the most incredible birds, those big ole dewlap Toulouse. And a buff one too, how rare they are!!! You are very lucky to have gotten one of each!

I also thought my goslings displayed sex specific behaviors from the day I brought them home (one day old). The little one who turned out to be a gander was more friendly and attention seeking, and the female shyer and hiding behind him.

These guys get huge. You should take a picture of them with a Coke can or something now, and then a pic each week, showing how fast they grow. And of COURSE we want to see them (no pressure, honest [​IMG] )

8. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Congrats awesome little goslings, Enjoy them while they stay little cuz this things grow fast!!!
    And then when there adults enjoy them some more!!!!!

9. NapoleanGoose

NapoleanGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Bishop CA
    Hey ChickFlia! <3 Nice to see that you are enjoying your birds. They are so cute! [​IMG]

Actually, the buff should be a girl cause of the genetics. Not sure about the grey, could be anything. Even a split, which would be nice. A split and a buff will breed boy and girl buffs. Thats what I'm trying for this next year. Good luck, and update with more photos if you can! It's great to watch them grow.

Congratulations on hatching your babies,

Sierra

10. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    Quote:My female goose is much more aggressive than the male. She is the first to attack other birds and totally runs things! I have africans, but I'm willing to bet the mentality is similar! Cute babies!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by