Jumbo drown and Texas A&M

Discussion in 'Quail' started by thomas1950, Sep 30, 2012.

1. thomas1950

thomas1950 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2012
    Any difffernce in meat color , dark or white ?Do you have problems with their legs beening large birds ?Can you use 2 year olds as breeders ?Or can you breed old to young ?Will brown & white cross[ hybred]

2. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks

No difference in meat color, never has been. Anyone that says other wise has either never tried both, or just trying to sell eggs by any means.

You should not have leg problems, again mostly myth.

A 2 year old coturnix is past it's prime but can still mate, a year should be about the oldest in a breeding program. But you can use old with younger birds if they get along. The birds will make this call as they would at any age...

Any coturnix roo will mate with anythIng that will allow it. Color makes no difference. Mutts are produced every day... Good luck with your birds, Bill

3. thomas1950

thomas1950 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2012
    Thanks ,So their is no difrence excep ones drown & ones white ,ones might be bigger .

4. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Yes that is correct. As a matter of fact, the original Texas A&M birds were Brown coturnix. It wasn't till later that they worked with white birds. You will find the brown birds will run heavier. They are also easier to sex.... But pull the feathers off and you cant tell one from another. Iv actually done it side by side many times. You will notice that some birds are a wee bit lighter in flesh color of the breast. This does not matter if the bird is a white or brown. It can be noticed from bird to bird in the same hatch, same clutch of eggs. I'v never been able to figger out why thou. There is no noticeable taste difference in the birds, just a slight color difference of the flesh. I , and several others, have experimented with a LOT of coturnix. They all end up the same place. And they all taste just like coturnix....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by