Jumbo Egg From My Pullet :-) PICS

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mochicken, Jun 6, 2011.

1. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I have been keeping an eye on my 3 Black Sex Link pullets to figure out which were laying since I was only getting 1-2 eggs a day, I narrowed it down to two of them and the last one that was not laying seemed interested in the nesting boxes but didnt give us any "gifts" until yesterday when she layed a decent sized egg, she was so happy and proud she didnt want me to take it lol.

Today I gathered eggs in the morning and had two from the other two pullets ( which are both laying an egg a day for a couple weeks now, never miss a day ) but the last hen had not been in "the box"

I worked outside for a while and decided to head in to cool off when I walked by the coop I threw them some scratch grains and saw that she was missing so I opened up the laying box top to see if she was in there, she was getting off the biggest egg I have gotten so far, maybe the largest chicken egg I have actually seen as we usually bought store bought white large eggs until recently when we acquired the pullets.

Here is the monster egg lol, hopefully we will continue to get these big guys from her.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    Wow. Thats especially big for pullets. Black sex links are known to lay large eggs. Maybe it is a double yolker... One of mine did that on her first egg

3. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I'm going to crack it tomorrow morning for bfast, I will post pics when I do, that would be cool though

4. farmerinKC

farmerinKC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Kansas City, Missouri
    That's a nice egg! How old were they when they started to lay?

5. tiffanyg2

tiffanyg2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    Impressive!! How are were they when you started getting your first eggs?

6. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I think they are 18-20 weeks if I remember right

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by